Creating a shelf for a wood burning stove...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
As the thread title suggests, I'm looking to support a wood burning stove which weighs around 95KG.

I have removed the open fire in the lounge and we are left with the open chimney breast which is around 96cm wide and 50cm deep. I intend to install a wood burner.

Rather than place the wood burner directly on the hearth, I would like to insert a 'shelf' 15cm or so above the hearth onto which the wood burner will be placed.

My idea is to put in place a couple of wide prestressed concrete lintels (225mm wide x 65mm thick) to form the shelf, supported from underneath by angle iron screwed into the brickwork. I would install some stone tiles on top of the lintels, then place the stove on top.

I have never attempted such work before, so I was wondering if this would be secure?

The stove weight would be spread across the 2 lintels, effectively meaning each one would have to support 50KG.

If anyone has any better ideas to create this shelf, I would love to hear them :)

If a diagram would help, I'll upload one.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back