creating a step in a wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am laying reclaimed wood floorboards in my victorian terrace. The layout is typical, 2 main rooms and a galley kitchen downstairs. The middle room is always going to be higher than the other 2 rooms and so it has been decided to make a feature of this by creating a step in between it and the other rooms. However, I am unsure as to how to make the step look good, other than making a very square edge. Any suggestions or links to pics???
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you're installing solid wood, do you have a router? You can 'ease' off the square edge.

Thanks for the advice, will look into getting a router. :D

Make sure you get some practise in with the router before you attack the floor with it! Takes a couple of runs to learn how to use..

Sponsored Links
if its a small step try and make it as obvious as possible so people dont trip on it

tell me the width and rise and i will have some nice "step " suggestions for with router and without

Tell us all anyway, Alot of flooring manufactories have stopped making nosings for there floors lately and im stuck making my own! Any ideas would be appreciated. O and most of my floors i fit on stairs are engineered!

mattysupra said:
Tell us all anyway, Alot of flooring manufactories have stopped making nosings for there floors lately and im stuck making my own! Any ideas would be appreciated. O and most of my floors i fit on stairs are engineered!
Matty, a local moulding company we frequently use for solid threshold etc do do a very nice stair-nosing (Solid Oak). Made out of two parts for easier installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back