Creating driveway - groundworks/gas pipe issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm planning on digging out the garden on the front of my property to create off road parking. Around 3m from the boundary with my neighbours the front wall of the garden has the gas supply pipe coming out of the pavement next to the wall about 60cm on a standing pipe type thing and then entering through the wall into the garden approx 40cm below the garden surface. It then runs along the boundary edge of the property and round the back where the meter is and enters the house.

My question is is it acceptable to dig out the garden and then lay the gas supply pipe (including the standing pipe on my boundary wall) below the now much lower surface before tarmacking/block paving etc or is this only something Cadent can do as it's a gas supply pipe? The pipe will follow the same course as it does currently but at a lower level and the meter at the rear of the property will not be touched. Will there be enough give in the pipe for this to work as the pipe will rise back up on the boundary at the side of the house and round the back?

Sponsored Links
You need to find out who is responsible for the pipe in question

Regardless you shouldn't be messing with a gas main , it needs to be done by someone who is gas Safe registered if it is your responsibility to move

Thus is one job that needs to be left to the professionals

Sponsored Links
As above, this is only the Gas Transporter, (Cadent) can do. They may wish to relay the entire run, as trying to get the pipe to rise at either end to meet existing points, I.e. where it passes through the boundary wall and the meter, may put additional stress on the pipework which it wont cope with, or there may not be sufficient slack in the pipe to even allow it to be rerouted as you require.

They may allow you to do the excavation though to reduce the cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back