Creating verge on mono pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm in the middle of a self build rear extension. It's a single storey 2.6 x 7.3m ground floor kitchen extension which is the same width as existing detached property.
I've built up as far as wall plate height and almost ready to set wall plate (100mm x 75mm) as recommended by BCO.
My question is with regards to creating the verge as i've never been quite sure on the detail of how these are created. Some verges I've seen (on neighbours extension) have a sort of barge board approx 7x2''. Others i've seen protrude from the gable wall with a soffit and fascia type arrangement. If i wanted to achieve the latter would i need to allow for the wall plate to extend beyond the gable end walls to accept some kind of flying rafter? The walls are 300mm wide full fill cavity, roof pitch approx 21 deg and plan on using Sandtoft 20/20 tiles - if that's relevant?

Apologies if I've not included enough detail - first post and as you might have guessed i'm not a roofer / builder.
Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
no wall plate stops at internal skin still
ladder attaches to last rafter as a full ladder or nogged from last rafter to your desired over hang then fit soffit which will give you your brickwork line and somthing to build too

Nice one bobsuerita, (top film btw)

So if i'm sending noggins across from that last internal rafter i take it the gable wall will be shy of rafter height by width of noggin? or do the noggins somehow pass through the block work (I've done internal and external skin out of blocks and intend to render external skin). I'd have assumed that gable walls should be same height as rafters to improve insulation perhaps, or doesn't this really matter?
I've been looking at the blurb on sandtoft links and it seems they do some products for a dry verge system which looks more straightforward to build. I need to settle on verge type in readiness for setting out tiles as i've x4 roof windows going in too and don't want to end up with crappy slithers at verges or edges of windows.

Thanks for the reply though - much appreciated! It's these forums which have enabled me to get this far in the build. I owe you all a pint :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back