Crimp???

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I use a regular crimp, heatshrink and then self amalgamating tape for a crimp joint. Can it be plastered over or should i enclose it in a jb or similar. Searching has confused me more than answering my question so can you just confirm for me.

dingbat said:
422-01-04 Every termination of live conductors or joint between them shall be contained within an enclosure selected in accordance with Regulation 526-03-02

Does self amalgamating tape count?

Sponsored Links
To expand on what dingbat said:

Every termination and joint in a live conductor or PEN conductor shall be made within one of the following or a combination thereof:

a suitable accessory complying with the appropriate product standard
an equipment enclosure complying with the appropriate product standard
an enclosure formed or completed with building material which is non-combustible
an enclosure formed or completed by part of the building structure.

Every connection shall be accessible for inspection,testing and maintenance except for the following:

a joint designed to be buried in the ground
a compound filled or encapsulated joint
a connection between a cold tail and the heating element
a joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or compression tool
a joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard

So, a compression joint (crimp) does not need to be accessible and if it is within an 'enclosure formed or completed with building material which is non-combustible' (plaster) then it is fine.

Davy

Brilliant!

I'll still use the self a42685686ing tape and heatshrink.

Sponsored Links
Beats me!

But that's how it appeared in mo2's post of 8.39....

securespark said:
Beats me!

But that's how it appeared in mo2's post of 8.39....

laziness really...

I hate the word 'amalgamating' and like the word 'waffles'.

[Sings happily]

"bird's Eye Potato Waffles, Waffly versatile!!"

mo2 said:
If I use a regular crimp, heatshrink and then self amalgamating tape for a crimp joint. Can it be plastered over or should i enclose it in a jb or similar. Searching has confused me more than answering my question so can you just confirm for me.

dingbat said:
422-01-04 Every termination of live conductors or joint between them shall be contained within an enclosure selected in accordance with Regulation 526-03-02

Regardless of what you can and can't do within the current regs IMO your proposal is a bodge.

Why does the joint have to be be in wall, surely there must be a better alternative?

Pensdown said:
mo2 said:

dingbat said:

Regardless of what you can and can't do within the current regs IMO your proposal is a bodge.

Why does the joint have to be be in wall, surely there must be a better alternative?

like? (there is no ther way, but to replace the whole run of cable, which is not possible)

Pensdown said:
From a relatively lay viewpoint, this doesn't appear to be a bodge.

Doing a half-hearted job for reasons of laziness and/or incompetence would be a bodge, but isn't a suitably protected (from moisture) crimped joint a legitimate method to use in the circumstances?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back