Crimping Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As I’m waiting for our new kitchen to be delivered I’m doing some prep work including removing the old tiles. The new kitchen will have splashback panels rather than tiling but on checking the spec find that they are a lot thicker than the tiles that I am removing. The problem I’m going to be faced with is the wiring to quite a few of the wall sockets are not going to reach the sockets when the panels are in place. As I don’t intend running new cable to each socket the only thing I can think to do is to extend the wiring to the required lengths. It goes without saying that I want to do this properly and safely. Had a look on the internet at the ratchet crimping tools but find quite a few ranging in price from about £20 (on Ebay) to about £50 at Electrical retailers. So can anyone with experience with these devices please point me in the right direction for a crimper suitable for a 2.5mm two core and earth cable that will do the job that I am doing (please).

Sponsored Links
The crimp pliers need to match the crimps so using shrink sleeve crimps you need pliers which will not damage that coating when crimped. Of course also some epoxy lined shrink to slide over the whole lot once crimped.

I have used crimp pliers all my adult life but only on one job for GEC Large Steam Turbines did I have to have them calibrated. Most had the calibration wheel on the side but only that firm ever did it.

So you buy which ever you fancy and try them if you can pull out the wires after crimping you adjust them if not use as they are. I think it very unlikely there will be a problem with any make but not all crimps are the same and one has to expect when using a crimp from one manufacturer and pliers from another there will be the odd time they do not match.

How thick are the panels?

Surely the wires can't be that tight.

Ordinary connectors would be acceptable.

Crimps should not be used on solid conductors but people do use them (wrongly).

Sponsored Links

I thought the same about the panels surely they cant be that much thicker than tiles that op would have too extend existing.

why is this ? would it still not be better than a screw down connection.
pcspkie If you do crimp make sure the insulation cut reveals enough copper to reach the end of through crimp and use heat sleeve as advised

why is this ?
Crimps are not intended for use on solid cores.

would it still not be better than a screw down connection.
No.

If you do crimp make sure the insulation cut reveals enough copper to reach the end of through crimp and use heat sleeve as advised
If the conductors are too short to allow 15mm extra that will be very difficult.

Surely the wires can't be that tight.

Ordinary connectors would be acceptable.

15mm

about a 10mm difference i still would of thought you could still terminate into sockets, is this not the case?

I fitted new sockets in the kitchen today and found that most of them will be ok, however there are about three which are very tight. When I was screwing them up the free space was only about 20mm; just enough to get the job done. When you consider the thickness of the board + the adhesive it could end up in the 18mm region.

why is this ?
Crimps are not intended solid cores.

bit of an overstatement that, whose stated this profound knowledge. surely if that was the case reg's would state so.

would it still not be better than a screw down connection.
No.
horses for courses, id say more torque on a wider area is applied to the core via crimping than by a screw connection in chocblock, Hv cables are crimped but that's altogether different when they have hydraulic crimpers
If you do crimp make sure the insulation cut reveals enough copper to reach the end of through crimp and use heat sleeve as advised
If the conductors are too short to allow 15mm extra that will be very difficult.
yes true

EFLI had a google didnt find any hard evidence just mixed opinions.

I Don't have my book beside me like your good self ;) But i'm sure it doesn't suggest that solid cores are not permitted to be crimped. Be best to braze em :confused:

EFLI had a google didnt find any hard evidence just mixed opinions.
It is difficult to prove a negative as, presumably, it will not be mentioned.
If you can find any manufacturer's or regulatory body's documents showing solid cores being crimped please let me (us) know.

Here is one manual but only stranded wires are shown.
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/ats/TM-640160065.pdf

I Don't have my book beside me like your good self ;) But i'm sure it doesn't suggest that solid cores are not permitted to be crimped. Be best to braze em :confused:
The regulations don't mention it specifically but say things like 'suitable' and 'appropriate' which crimps on solid cores are not - especially the cheap rubbish we have in mind, not made to size, with poor metal and flat ratchets.

This is an occasion where flat plate sockets, which usually protrude annoyingly far at the back, might actually be beneficial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back