crimping inside a jb-sleave or not

J

johnmf

bit of a debate going at work.

when using insulated through crimps (butt type) to join cables inside a junction box is it necessary to cover the crimp in heatshrink. i say no as the crimp is insulated and the jb is offering mechanical protection. its probably worth doing but i wouldnt say it was necesaary.

opinions.

Sponsored Links
Not necessary, in my opinion, for the reasons you stated. Why not just use the screw connections inside the JB , that's what they're for !

Sponsored Links
true garymo, poor terminology on my part, we were infact debating adaptable boxes or t-piece junction boxes in conduit.

I doubt you will do a clean job using heatshrink on that style of crimp due to the way they splay out at the end.

If you want a crimp with a nice smooth sealed end (less risk of stuff catching on it which may be usefull in a crowded conduit install, less chance of problems if it accidently gets wet etc) then I would either use a bare metal crimp with heatshrink or use a crimp with built in heatshrink ends (e.g. http://www.rapidonline.com/producti...tier4=Heat+shrink+butt+splices&moduleno=63945 )

I doubt you will do a clean job using heatshrink on that style of crimp due to the way they splay out at the end.

If you use the 4/ 1 or the 3/ 1 ratio rather than the 2/ 1 ratio sleeving. it comes out quite well with the 2.5 and blue crimps and looks quite proffesional especially if you match the colour to the cables.

We just use a hot air attachment on a gas soldering iron to shrink it.

Not always necessary though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back