Crimps and tools

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, apologies upfront for the longish post

I’m a gas/heating engineer, and from time to time change pcb’s, wire in receivers for wireless room thermostats, etc, so deal with flex cable. I’ve had on occasions where I’ve struggled to get x2 stranded wires into the terminal and I think twice where I’ve had an mcb trip because I had tightened onto the insulation.

I’ve been trying to research crimps etc, but everyone seems to use cross referenced terminology (bootlace terminal, cord ends, ferrules) Ideally I want one tool, that I can use crimped ends for my work, I have seen the standard coloured ones, but believe I may need the uninsulated crimped for pcb’s and the wireless receivers?

I’ve seen JW’s video on crimping and like the idea of using a ratchet crimp to apply the correct force, and he crimps uninsulated and insulated ones with the sameness tool, but can’t seem to find the correct ones for a low enough price range (£30). I did do a search on here, but all the eBay links seem to be expired. I have seen some by partex,but have to pay extra for a calibration certificate?

Hopefully someone can help?

Sponsored Links
I’ve had on occasions where I’ve struggled to get x2 stranded wires into the terminal
You would presumably have the same problem with crimps.

and I think twice where I’ve had an mcb trip because I had tightened onto the insulation.
I don't understand that bit.

I’ve been trying to research crimps etc, but everyone seems to use cross referenced terminology (bootlace terminal, cord ends, ferrules) Ideally I want one tool, that I can use crimped ends for my work, I have seen the standard coloured ones, but believe I may need the uninsulated crimped for pcb’s and the wireless receivers?
That surely is the problem.
There isn't one tool which can do all kinds of crimps.

I’ve seen JW’s video on crimping and like the idea of using a ratchet crimp to apply the correct force, and he crimps uninsulated and insulated ones with the sameness tool, but can’t seem to find the correct ones for a low enough price range (£30). I did do a search on here, but all the eBay links seem to be expired. I have seen some by partex,but have to pay extra for a calibration certificate?
Perhaps the good ones are more expensive.

I would just say that the squash-flat ones - which use crimps that are far too big for the wire - are rubbish.

Sorry that's not much help.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
As already stated, there are no tools for doing all crimps. For doing pcb’s you should be fine with a bootlace ferrule crimper, and a yellow/blue/red crimper (sorry, not sure of the proper name)
The main thing is to make sure the correct size crimp is used, and the conductor is all the way through the crimp terminal and obviously no insulation is crimped. When done properly, I was taught that they are better than a properly soldered joint.
Just buy the two tools.

• Thanks
Looking at the ferrule kit with green crimp tool, would this also do butt crimps, or would another tool be needed for that?
No, that will do both insulated and uninsulated BOOTLACE FERRULES it will also do the insulated TWIN bootlace ferrules that accept, two cables in each ferrule.
The insulated ferrules have colour codes and there are 2 standards FRENCH and GERMAN i think, only difference being the colour.

For butt crimps, if you mean the RED YELLOW and BLUE insulated ones, that uses a different tool, for uninsulated Butt crimps that is usually yet another tool.

• Thanks
UNINSULATED BUTT CRIMPS LUGS ETC
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR1516.html
DVDHCR1516.JPG

INSULATED R Y B CRIMPS LUGS ETC
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DVDHCR15.html

DVDHCR15.JPG

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back