Crimps what do you think

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can i ask what all you think of crimps to extend wires are they allowed as they dont seem that secure to me,Can you tell me what colours to use with 1.5 and 2.5 t+e .What is the biggest wire you can crimp????

Sponsored Links
They are a valid method, however in my own home when modifying bits of wiring I have always opted to to replace the entire section of cable as it never feels right using them to me.

Sponsored Links
Hi can i ask what all you think of crimps to extend wires are they allowed as they dont seem that secure to me,Can you tell me what colours to use with 1.5 and 2.5 t+e .What is the biggest wire you can crimp????

I have seen many failed crimped joints but not as many as I have seen failed "screwed" joints on terminals.

The max size joint you can crimp depends on the size of your "tool" :D :D

Frank

The 2.5mm are blue and 1.5mm are red the largest I have used is 300mm but I am sure there are bigger. The largest my crimp pliers will crimp is 120mm although you do need some strong arms. Above that hydrolic crimper's are used.

With correct crimp pliers there is no problem taking the current however they are never put under strain and often are covered with epoxy resin impregnated shrink sleeve or potted in some form of resin so the finished job puts no physical strain on the cables.

6mm and below are often pre-insulated and there are specials with built in shrink sleeve that are heated after shrinking but some of these need special jaws fitting to crimp pliers.

Above 6mm they are normally bare tinned copper. There are even specials for crimping 6mm to 16mm often as a C clamp and needing special crimp dies and used a lot for earthing tray work ect.

I have seen many failed crimped joints but not as many as I have seen failed "screwed" joints on terminals.

The max size joint you can crimp depends on the size of your "tool" :D :D

Frank
You have lead a very sheltered life then. I have seen mainly due to vibration many screwed joints where the screw has worked lose and as a result they have over heated. Also seen where prolonged maintenance has resulted in the wires necking off.

Although I have seen crimps fail in the main it has be due to lack of physical protection for the joint or the use of cheap crimp pliers that are not calibrated and finally use of wrong size of crimp for the wire.

I have also seen wires failing just beyond the crimp where not supported correctly. And I have seen failures were a solder type lug has been crimped instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back