Crosswater bath mixer...tap handle spinning on splines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got a crosswater bath/shower mixer (komo model). It's only about 18 months old.

The tap handle is spinning - you can hear that it isn't catching on the splines. I've taken it off so I can turn the water on and off with a wrench until it's sorted.

I know it's under a 15 year guarantee, so that's not the issue - but is it possible to get a new handle that won't wear out!? The inside seems to be plastic and the tap doesn't get used THAT much - maybe on and off once or twice a day.

Is this a common problem, and one that crosswater might be aware of? Or is there a simple quick fix? Or is it a matter of having to get a new part?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'll need new tap tops, and keep the securing screw nice and tight.
If you want, a substance called Loctite can be applied to the splines.....it thickens in the grooves and then sets - but not to such an extent that you cant shift them again.
John :)

One of the most common is Loctite 638.....its used to secure slack bearings in their housings so its able to gap fill to some degree.
A decent motor factors will be able to fix you up with something similar, if not the identical product.
Keeping the retaining screw tight is a good move!
Get the correct tap tops if you can - sometimes these tap splines are a fraction small in the diameter, or can have one spline to few - a real pain.

Sponsored Links
Can't thank you enough, it's so kind of you to take the time to help.

One of the most common is Loctite 638.....its used to secure slack bearings in their housings so its able to gap fill to some degree.
A decent motor factors will be able to fix you up with something similar, if not the identical product.
Keeping the retaining screw tight is a good move!
Get the correct tap tops if you can - sometimes these tap splines are a fraction small in the diameter, or can have one spline to few - a real pain.

John - thanks so much.

You don't know what the loctite product is called, by any chance?

Thanks in advance.
Bloody expensive is what it is - £30 a tiny bottle - get some cheap 2 part epoxy in there , in effect glue the head onto the spindle - then get onto crosswater for a new set of heads and bodies . The taps are obviously not up to it :cry:

Thanks for the advice! I found a little tube of the loctite stuff on ebay for £3, thinking that I"d only need a little bit.

John - thanks so much.

You don't know what the loctite product is called, by any chance?

Thanks in advance.
Bloody expensive is what it is - £30 a tiny bottle - get some cheap 2 part epoxy in there , in effect glue the head onto the spindle - then get onto crosswater for a new set of heads and bodies . The taps are obviously not up to it :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back