Crown extreme grip

Sponsored Links
Undercoat is better as you can sand it to a perfect finish before the top coat. You won't get a 'better' eggshell finish with 20 coats.

wot a load of cobblers..
Eggshell is a coat on coat system... unless drastic colour change,, then one unders and two eggshell/satinwood..
wish peeps would give their practical knowledge instead of googling.

I guess you follow the instructions on the back of 'One Coat too'?

If you aint tried it - don't knock it. I've tried it both ways and the way I suggested will give far better results. When you've tried it you can make an informed decision. Until that time - you can't.

I guess you follow the instructions on the back of 'One Coat too'?

If you aint tried it - don't knock it. I've tried it both ways and the way I suggested will give far better results. When you've tried it you can make an informed decision. Until that time - you can't.

I just completed a hall, landing,stairs. with 20 'flush' doors , frames etc.. 9" skirts.. with satinwood.. Your trying to say that I should have udercoated and ONE eggshell/satinwood ..

So I buy undercoat and eggshell.. Hmmm ....ha ha you'd be laffed off a site..
i'd stick to googling joe..

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
Sponsored Links
Ok fellas, sorry if i seem a bit slow here but...

i called Crown and they said that the one coat satin would need an undercoat.
Fair enough - i'd say there's a good chance that an undercoat gives a smoother finish, but where that's not important - is an undercoat required or not?

Appreciate ur opinions - just trying to understand what's the common consensus, as up to this point i thought undercoat was pretty much essential.

:confused:

I'm as huge fan of undercoat. It is a thick grain hiding coat that you can sand to a fine finish. If you learn to understand undercoat and how best to use it you get pro results (old pro) every time. Try it - you'll like the results.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
Thanks for ur reply Joe.

I called crown again and spoke to someone else who said that undercoat was not strictly necessary.

So basically - u can get away without it. But for somewhere that it matters - like on living room furniture or doors that have a slight grain - undercoat will probably give a more professional smoother finish.

I can get away w/o it here because the window cills i'm painting were pretty smooth to begin with.

Thanks for ur help fellas - always appreciated :)

for every 100 painters you ask , you`ll get 50 that use undercoat and 50 that give it 2 coats of eggshell. its the age old question.
personally i`d give it 2 coats of eggshell. i believe it gives a better finish, and it is self undercoating. every painter in the world knows that lol.
but saying that i know a lot of painters who prefer to undercoat and then one coat of eggshell.
if your buying eggshell , you might as well use it for both coats instead of buying undercoat as well.
just my opinion after 22 years in the trade .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back