Crown extreme grip

Hib

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used this stuff

http://www.designbuild-network.com/contractors/finishing/crown-trade/press10.html

I got a a tub of it (water based), i've sanded down some sapele doors (with 80 grit) and put a coat of it own - not sure about the adhesion - i get the impression that u could scrap a line of it off pretty easy with ur thumb. Maybe Zinsser would be better?

I plan to sand down some living room furniture as well and give it the same treatment but want to be sure it'll be OK.

Going to go over both with Crown Solo satin. I've read u can use satin without an undercoat so i was going to put the solo straight on to the doors on top of the extreme grip primer as they're not so important, but with the furniture i was going to use an undercoat (crown white oil based) to be sure.

What do u think?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have used extreme grip and found it OK, but only now use Zinsser.

As to the satin paint, I don't myself use the solo range, but would never just use a one coat system.

You are better off getting crown eggshell (trade) and put on two coats of that, might take a little longer but will get a better finish and longer lasting.

Being an old f**t I never use undercoat with a satin/eggshell finish, just 2 coats of eggshell is all you need.

Undercoat is the best kept secret in decorating - it turns every job into a pro job when you know how to use it.

Yep undercoat is very good when used in the right place, but not for eggshell.

But for all other jobs, and even as a water stain block it is good.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
Sponsored Links
It's a sand-able liquid filler. THAT is it's best kept secret. You apply it and sand it with 120 grit - THEN you apply your topcoat.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
Well, now that the extreme grip has dried properly (it says one hour but takes a lot longer on sapele doors - which is understandable) the adhesion is pretty good - u can't scrape a line of it off with ur thumbnail after all.

Thanks for ur help fellas - 'liquid filler' Joe-90? - well put :)

How will the Solo stand up to hot mugs of tea being set on it?

Cheers

I have used extreme grip and found it OK, but only now use Zinsser.

As to the satin paint, I don't myself use the solo range, but would never just use a one coat system.

You are better off getting crown eggshell (trade) and put on two coats of that, might take a little longer but will get a better finish and longer lasting.

Being an old f**t I never use undercoat with a satin/eggshell finish, just 2 coats of eggshell is all you need.

Hi Lyngarth

How come you don't use an undercoat with eggshell or satin there both oil based, and undercoat is cheaper and gives body.

I'm not against it I've just not heard that before.

Because eggshell (trade) is self undercoating, by using two coats for the eggshell you get a better satin (eggshell) finish, as the sheen builds up better when using coat on coat.

If you read the info on trade eggshell tins, it will tell you to apply two coats.

But thats not to say you can't use a undercoat, but make sure if you do you get a good coat on and no misses as the undercoat will show through.

Lyngarth

Undercoat is better as you can sand it to a perfect finish before the top coat. You won't get a 'better' eggshell finish with 20 coats.

Sorry but I don't agree with you on this one. I always use two coats of eggshell and if you prepare you work right in the first place you shouldn't need to rub down between coats, maybe a light de-nib thats all.

But we are all different and work to our own ways.

I wonder if crown or dulux know that you get a better finish using an undercoat than applying two top coats or 20. Mind you it would mean them changing the info they put on the tins!!

There's more to doing the job right than reading the back of tins. Bet you are new to the trade.

Well what do you call new to the trade ?? I have been working self-employed, decorating for just a few days under 31 yrs !!! and not been without work for 95% of that time.

I have my own house and business and doing very well even in these times.

The point I was making about the tins, was if its so wrong not to use undercoat then why did they tell the public otherwise ??

Why do they make One Coat Gloss? Because Joe Public is lazy and doesn't want to cope with two different processes. Slap it on - jobs a gud' un' (if only).

I've tried it both ways and I suggest that you do the same - you might actually learn something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back