Cruise Ship Injuries

I went fishing off Mexico, many years ago.
4 hrs out into the Atlantic in a little diesel boat, that seemed to spend most of that time pointing either 45 degrees downwards, or 45 degrees upwards.
Never before nor since have I been seasick but, that day, if you'd handed me a gun, I would have shot myself.

Sponsored Links
Was in the med on a cruise, almost flat calm. The ship started to lean, slowly but steadily, until it was at quite an angle. It took some time before it returned to normal.

An announcement blamed a faulty gyroscope. Very weird, it would have been much worse in a storm.
WE were cruising through the Pentland Firth, nice sunny day calm seas, sat up on the forward sundeck , the ship listed to starboard, enough to empty half the swimming pool, sunloungers, drinks all over the place. Then we righted , no word from the bridge

WE were cruising through the Pentland Firth, nice sunny day calm seas, sat up on the forward sundeck , the ship listed to starboard, enough to empty half the swimming pool, sunloungers, drinks all over the place. Then we righted , no word from the bridge
Sounds similar to us.

I p155ed myself in a F6 maybe touching a 7, on a 26 footer. I was desperate for a wee but I knew if I went below the sea sickness monster would get me, I wasn't going to hang over the side so I just filled me pants.
Very similar to me, we were in a 36 footer, crossing the Bristol channel to Portishead in a 6/7.
It was like a rollercoaster, I was enjoying it on deck, doing the gyro thing that dogs do in cars. My abdomen has never had such a workout.
...but there was absolutely no way I was going to go below! :sick:

Sponsored Links
Very similar to me, we were in a 36 footer, crossing the Bristol channel to Portishead in a 6/7.
It was like a rollercoaster, I was enjoying it on deck, doing the gyro thing that dogs do in cars. My abdomen has never had such a workout.
...but there was absolutely no way I was going to go below! :sick:

Funnily enough, my experience was in Wales, going from Barmouth to Aberystwyth, used to sail out of a place called Shell Island near Porthmadog, still got a few friends with boats in Porthmadog, good sailing grounds, used to do Isle of Man & Ireland every year.

I was in a storm in Biscay in 1986, on Ss Canberra. The ship almost capsized.
The stabilisers have to be retracted in storms so prevent them being damaged..

When you see these cruise ships in calm waters its a wonder they stay right side up.

We came home a few hours early on a cruise to the fjords because of predicted bad weather. I was woken in the night by a noise that sounded like we had hit another ship but it was a massive wave that had just crashed into us. I popped my head out of the door and looked over the balcony and the sea looked like the inside of a washing machine. Mrs Mottie told me to get back in as she thought I might get washed overboard! We were on a fairly big ship (Azura) but it felt like the sea had us at its mercy. We docked at about 1.00am instead of the predicted 6.00am. Another time, we had been on a weekend cruise to Brugge with our friends and about an hour after leaving to come home, the ship seemed to slow right down in the middle of some big waves and we could hear a funny chopping noise which turned out to be the propellers coming out of the water. That night at the 'Gala' dinner, there wasn’t a single table that was fully occupied as there were plenty of passengers that wouldn’t leave their cabins including one of our gang who, according to his wife, turned grey. You can normally tell when you are going to get a choppy ride on a cruise ship as you will see strategically placed boxes and bags to be sick into!
Thats horrific you're made of sturner stuff than me.... id be pooping my pants whilst calling Mayday and praying like i've never actually prayed ever.

Edit ive just read your response Fillyboy :D we wouldn't make a good pairing on a any rough crossing..

On our first cruise, we had a cabin up the front end and about 2am my mrs was about to phone in a complaint about the bar staff making such a din when shifting beer barrels around. I let her suffer for a while before explaining it was the waves crashing against the hull. :oops::oops:

Whilst not listed by the MAIB as a current investigation, I highly suspect that it will be - in which case we should find out the full story.... If not for several years!
Just to update, MAIB is listing the incident under "loss of propulsion"...

Screenshot_20231114-232441_Chrome.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back