16 Sep 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

So I want to paint the bay window area at the front of my terrace red brick house. It's got a masonry render on top and was painted by previous owners. However there is so much bubbling and a lot of loose rubble underneath. Quite a few parts of the wall feel soft and if you break the loose membrane if paint, dust just pours out leaving quite big gaps. I'm postings pictures for you to see. Any ideas how I tackle the paint job?
Sponsored Links
You could try a paintable stabilising solution on the dusty, porous bits.

You can buy tubs of sand and cement where you simply add water and mix up, to repair the missing render. Builders merchants have this.

I assume you are looking for a quick fix without going too crazy.

It's probable a lot of the rendering really needs pulling off and starting again - which may be a job for a professional plasterer unless you can do that kind of stuff.
Do you think a ready mix render would do? Budgets are low for gettin a tradesman in so am quite open to DIY if that doesn't seem too mad!
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local