CRV Mrk2 Gearbox replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a 2004 Honda CRV. Works really well but it slips out of 5th gear. I need to gently keep it engaged as I'm driving. The action isn't good either. It doesn't slip in to gear properly, it feels like something is in the way rather than a worn gear? I know nothing about gearbox's so maybe someone can enlighten me?

Anyway! I'm taking the car to Ukraine in a few weeks and will leave it there for someone to use. What I'm wondering is how long would it take a decent mechanic to swap the gearboxes? I know it's un economical in the UK but over there it's a different story. If it's going to take a day or two then it could be worth it. I'd like the clutch changed as well. Is this something that can be done at the same time?

I've seen a youtube video of someone taking a gearbox out. Took about 10 mins ;). Didn't see them put it back in though! Do I need to take gaskets or anything as well?

Cheers

Spynage

Sponsored Links
I think you need to get the gear selector cables looked at first - if you feel that the gear isn’t fully engaging, no wonder it pops out again! Adjustment of these is critical, but do find a garage familiar with the Honda.
John

The problem is due to the synchromesh cones not fully engaging.....I can’t say if the gearbox is good or bad of course but synchro problems usually manifest themselves in the lower gears.
John

Sponsored Links
Back