cu change ceramic fuses for trip switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me if it is possible to get trip switch's to replace the ceramic fuses in my cu.

maker is MEM the sticker inside the pull down lid says:-
switch rating 80 amp 250 volts ac only.

not sure if this will help or not there is a number on the bottom of the sticker that reads lb 741a.

Sponsored Links
cando said:
can anyone tell me if it is possible to get trip switch's to replace the ceramic fuses in my cu.

I very much doubt it. You can get retrofit miniature circuit breakers (MCB's) for Wylex rewireable fuseboards, but I've never seen such a replacement for ceramic fuses.

cando said:

This is the rating of the main switch, it's the maximum load it is designed (but not recommended) to switch. It doesn't indicate the rating of the fuse/s.

But if you've still got ceramic fuses it's highly likely that you are due for a rewire. I'd strongly recommend you get your installation checked.

dingbat said:
cando said:

I very much doubt it. You can get retrofit miniature circuit breakers (MCB's) for Wylex rewireable fuseboards, but I've never seen such a replacement for ceramic fuses.

cando said:

This is the rating of the main switch, it's the maximum load it is designed (but not recommended) to switch. It doesn't indicate the rating of the fuse/s.

But if you've still got ceramic fuses it's highly likely that you are due for a rewire. I'd strongly recommend you get your installation checked.
the house was rewird by the previous owner but the fuses box was not replaced how much do you think it would cost for a new one + fitting

Anywhere from £42 (apparently) to £750 (allegedly). As usual it depends on a number of factors, not least the condition and specification of the existing installation. Best advice is to get a couple of quotes and advice from electricians.

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
Anywhere from £42 (apparently) to £750 (allegedly). As usual it depends on a number of factors, not least the condition and specification of the existing installation. Best advice is to get a couple of quotes and advice from electricians.
thanks for your help will get a few quotes and take it from there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back