CU for RCBOs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately my memory is going from bad to worse.... Ok I know that this is the wrong forum for this kind of problems. So help me out please:
I am starting a job where I will have to change the CU. the configuration I use is of RCBOs. In the past I use Hager, Contactum, MEM, MK etc. Can some one with a better memory than mine to remind me which one of them is better for this configuration; because of the space above the RCBO in some of the CUs is not great.

Sponsored Links
MCG!!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously they have loads of room, but, they are made of rice paper and nothing feels like it is screwed down.

Fitted one last week, and that is the last one I will be fitting!!!!!!!

Unless someone really is moaning about cost then they'll get one of them.

I think Hagar give the most room, but i'm sure someone will be able to correct me

I've not encountered any problems with the amount of space in Wylex enclosures, as long as you lay your cables out nearly and plan ahead then I can't imagine any brand should cause major headaches.

MCG!!!!

Seriously they have loads of room, but, they are made of rice paper and nothing feels like it is screwed down.
Fitted one last week, and that is the last one I will be fitting!!!!!!!
Are you talking about all the makes I mentioned? BTW I use the metal clad version of all makes.

I've not encountered any problems with the amount of space in Wylex enclosures, as long as you lay your cables out nearly and plan ahead then I can't imagine any brand should cause major headaches.

I always finished the job nice and nit, but with some of the boxes I found that if you have a ring (4 x 2.5mm2 wires to connect to the top of the RCBO) or using radial with 4mm2, or 6mm2 for a cooker, it becomes a bit of a struggle).

Being honest I never used Wylex, may be it deserves a chance...

Sponsored Links

You have got to be kidding surely?

1037-0w300h300_Sardines_Olive_Oil.jpg

Stick with Hager, MK or MEM.

You ever tried to put an RCBO in an older hager CU Rob?

I almost had to use a shoehorn to get it past the outgoing circuits :LOL:

Looking at their catalogue the newer ones have a lot more space above the DIN rail

MCG are sold by chitty electrical factors

THEY ARE *******S!!!

but roomy

One of Robs favourite brands I believe ;)

The Wylex ones do NOT have much room if you fit all RCBOs. One option to provide more space in them is to not use all of the available ways - leave a space between some/all of the RCBOs.

Most makes of double pole RCBOs will provide a lot more space, as they are usually 2 modules wide and the same height as an MCB.
Of course, this means the board will have to be a lot wider.

The Wylex ones do NOT have much room if you fit all RCBOs. One option to provide more space in them is to not use all of the available ways - leave a space between some/all of the RCBOs.

Honesty can't see the problem, mine at home is fully loaded with RCBOs (2x RF, 3x lights, 5x 16A radial in 2.5 and 1x 32A in 6mm) and, while it could have been roomier, there was enough space in there to be able to make a fairly neat job of it. There are no gaps between each module.

People seem to be making out that using RCBOs in a Wylex CU is physically impossible without bending the laws of physics :LOL:

That's not to say that other manufacturers don't provide more space, but I can't personally endorse any as I haven't fitted RCBOs into anything other than Wylex units.

You can always move the din rail down. There's usually room below the busbar - particularly on concealed busbars like the Starbreaker.

When the 16th edition was in fashion it was easier, then as now I used RCBOs, but not for lights, cooker etc. For one reason or another, in some makes it seemed that the Neutral bar was lower than the earth side, or the neutral was above the rail when the earth bar was on the side so I could connect all my RCBOs on the earth bar side and the MCBs on the neutral side.

Now when all need to be RCD protected (yes I know about the 50mm deep rule) it takes away this option.

We always find solutions, one way or another. This will be sorted I just wandered what you think about it.

It is always good to hear other opinions especially when people start to make remarks that are not really relevant to the subject but to other peoples remarks, it makes me lough. Thanks.

You can always move the din rail down. There's usually room below the busbar - particularly on concealed busbars like the Starbreaker.

This is interesting, never tried this, I think that many of them do not have enough space under the rail but this is something to look for...

Hello.

Wouldn't moving the din rail down stop the cover from fitting on ? :eek:

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back