CU replacement notification, Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this sounds like a FAQ. I had a CU replaced by a SELECT electrician a few months ago (in Scotland). Should I have received some sort of local authority notification confirmation? I was under the impression that the electrician would tell SELECT and they would tell the local authority and then I would get some sort of confirmation - but now I wonder if that process is only in England, or something. Can anyone clarify what should have happened? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the type of building, the job may or may not have required a building warrant before commencement. If not then you should have received an Electrical Installation Certificate and that would be the end of it. We thankfully do not have a part P process as does England and Wales. What building was the work done in?

Regards
Martin

Sponsored Links
Technically you need a building warrant for the likes of one new recessed socket in a wall and some other bizarre stuff but I don't think many (any?) councils bother with small stuff like that. In Glasgow at present Building Control seem to be taking the full 4 weeks they are allowed to respond to anything so even if you submit your application (with your proposed and existing plans of the entire flat, location plan from OS map, application form and fees!) perfectly with no errors/omissions/things they want to query, you'll still have to wait 4 weeks for approval! I certainly don't know any customers who would we willing to pay an extra £500 and wait 4 weeks before their work can even be scheduled.....plus there's an exclusion for rewiring/replacement 'equal to the installation being repaired or replaced', so that should cover it!

But you should have gotten an Electrical Installation Certificate, with schedules of inspections & test results from the contractor, did you?

Here's the confusing Scot Gov guide: http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Doc/217736/0092252.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back