CU Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been asked to carry out a CU replacement for a customer and I plan to use this job to get me registered within Part P etc so I want to do everything properly, i.e notify building control.

Firstly how do I notify the building control; call them, write a letter?

How much notice before you start a job do I need to inform building control?

If during the testing of the house (I assume periodic here) I find sections are not up to current BS7671 standards is it my responsability to correct or is it just like a periodic where I inform the customer?

How much does it cost- you may not be able to answer this.

Obviously I would need to ensure the Gas and Main Water is bonded during the works etc

Sponsored Links
Tony,
Firstly I would do a periodic of the installation and charge them for it. If they then agree to all the remedial work that needs doing then, and only then would I consider notifying your LABC.

Notification for work that comes under table 'c' in the tables of charges should be notified to the LABC at least 2 days before work start. At this time you will need to also send them payment.

The best way forward is really to phone the LABC and see what they want you to do as some might want to see first fix and others will only want to come and see the second fix. The LABC will then want copies of you EIC. Some LABC's will only accept NICEIC EIC's which I my mind goes against what thay should be doing, but as I said if you give them a ring they should be able to help you out.

P.S. Some unscrouplous electricians don't notify the jobs that they are using for assesment and then once passed self notify them....

fattony said:
If during the testing of the house (I assume periodic here) I find sections are not up to current BS7671 standards is it my responsability to correct or is it just like a periodic where I inform the customer?

Sensible advice from nozspark and a periodic first is a good way to detect any serious problems. However, if you did change the cu and found problems during the testing then they would not automatically have to be corrected, depending on what they are.

You do not have to bring old wiring up to current standards, as long as they pass the essential tests (IR, EFLI etc). Of course if you detect a dangerous situation it is your responsibility to inform the customer - whether you correct it is then down to you, and whether they will pay any extra. Of course if there is something that would stop you connecting the circuit back to the new CU (Failed IR for example) then you will wish you had done a PIR first!

That is where having a good set of terms and conditions helps cover your a**e.

As far as I am aware, under current guidelines the only thing that HAS to be corrected before ANY work can be carried out is ensuring that a suitable earth and main equipotential bonding is in place.

If you are planning to use the job for registration and the inspection will be towards the end of the job I see no reason with not notifying LABC, as long as you are registered by the time you sign the job off. It is perhaps bending the rules a little, but not a flagrant breach (and perhaps not even a technical one). In my experience the NICEIC inspectors at least are not interested in whether LABC have been involved, they just want to check the quality of your work and in particular your paperwork.

Hope that helps

Gavin

Firstly how do I notify the building control; call them, write a letter?

Phone them up request the form needed (or do it online if possible) return form with payment.

How much notice before you start a job do I need to inform building control?

48 hours I belive.

If things like the supplimentary or Equipotential bonds are missing or faults on circuits are found then yes it's down to you to put right, as you will be taking responsibility for the whole installation after the cu change & issuing the required eic.

How much does it cost- you may not be able to answer this.

I assume you're on about the LABC charge & not the cost of swapping a cu.
Well here in Berks it's dependant on the overall cost of the proposed works, but the minimum is £75.00

Obviously I would need to ensure the Gas and Main Water is bonded during the works etc

Correct.

Sponsored Links
cheers guys some sound advice will take it on board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back