Cupboard door / panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is a bit tricky to explain, but essentially I've cut a hole in a wall, and have built storage behind it (it's in the eaves of a loft room).

To make the opening tidy, I've built a wooden frame around the inside of the hole which overlaps the hole by about an inch all the way around.

The opening is about 4 foot high, but about 3 feet wide. And, as it's more for storage than used for daily access, I decided to have a removable panel door rather than a swing door, so that I can put stuff in front of it and can just remove the panel to get in there.

Ok, here's my problem.. I want the door to be as air-tight as I can get it, as the wind blows through there from outside, but also, I need the seal to be quite tough, as the wind could potentially blow the panel off.

So, I need a catch of some kind, that will apply pressure to the panel and the frame to prevent any air-gap, and also to prevent it from falling away.

I feel like there should be a twisting lock of some kind, that gets tighter the more you turn it, but I can't find any such catch.

Thanks,
Rich.

Sponsored Links
there is such a thing as the place i used to work used them, called a cam lock or something, but they came with a handle and I'm thinking you want a flush / flat type affair?

try a couple of pairs of these and some weather strip or foam for a seal..
position them right and you can have it so that they only go into their holes when you press the panel in to compress the foam strip..

searched for cam lock and that's the thing you want..
the ones we used were made by southco and were classed as vice action handles..
1/4 turn to turn the latch, another 1/4 turn to pull the latch in

assuming you are using archatrave or a moulding off at least 44mm all round make the hatch 6mm narrower than the opening and 10mm less than the height make the bottom archatrave overlap by 5mm and the top overlaped by 10mm

set the door stop 2mm further back than the door thickness all the way round
apply rsticky rubber to the doorstop edge
http://www.toolstation.com/documents/search/index.html?searchstr=26035

you simply push the door up untill it clears the bottom then drop behind the archatrave and the compressed rubber gives a rattle free air tight seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back