Cupboard door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace this cupboard door with one with hinges on just one side. Went to b and q and they only have 686mm abd 744mm wide but this one is 720mm. Where can I get one this wide?

Flat not panelled
20210907_102804.jpg
20210907_103056.jpg

Attachments

• 20210907_103056.jpg
    20210907_103056.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210907_102804.jpg
    20210907_102804.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210907_102527.jpg
    20210907_102527.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Make one. 2040 x 726 is a standard door size in 35 and 44mm thickness. Try using a timber or builder's merchant (or Howdens) instead of a diy store. Bit more awkward if you require a glazed door

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go putting ideas in peoples heads, @^woody^ - they might think you are serious. BTW, probably won'twork with chipboard core or hollow core doors

Sponsored Links
I was going to mention a chain saw like the OP used on that wardrobe a while ago. :cautious:
Thought you needed a ticket to.use one of them. That, and a pair of Kevlar underpants

Make one. 2040 x 726 is a standard door size in 35 and 44mm thickness. Try using a timber or builder's merchant (or Howdens) instead of a diy store. Bit more awkward if you require a glazed door
Will do. I personally think it would be better to have two folding in to each other. Could you just cut a solid door in half for that? I'll go to Howdens for 726 anyhow

No. Because the door, if it is a flush door, won't be solid wood.

Interior fire doors (i.e. heavier flush doors) consist of a dense chipboard core around which, typically, a softwood lipping is glued on all 4 sides. This lipping varies but is often in the region of 10 to 20mm thick. The faces are often thin glue bonded plywood with a show grade veneer outermost, in a species such as mahogany, lauan, meranti, etc. Finally the long edges are lipped eith 6 to 10mm thick hardwood. There are variations on this such as the hardwood plywood being applied after the edge lipping oo rge lipping being round 3 or even 4 sides of the door, but the fundamental issue is that the core is chipboard, not solid wood.

Lightwood doors are even filmsier, with a cardboard "egg carton" core, so they are even worse to deal with if you cut them. To make matters worse they have denser hinge blocks (generally a block of chipboard or softwood) glued on the inside on only one side with a lock block of the same material on the middle of the rail on the opposite edge which makes them very awkward to modify

A competent, experienced carpenter can often make a passable job of cutting and re-lipping a solid core fire door on site, but the technique does vary according to the door specifics and it is easier to be successful if you have a rail saw, guide rails, a vacuum, an 18 ga pinner and a router

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back