Current boiler diagram and looking to go Nest.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Spent a while earlier popping off faceplates etc and this is exactly what i have on my current heating system..
obviously i'm no spark/plumber so please excuse the diagram, I would just like a little help to better understand why the system is wired this way.

4zDnImR.jpg

What confuses me instantly is that everything I read about adding roomstats/programmers to my worcester combi requires the mains from 3a switch going to boiler then from boiler back to programmer etc.. like this pic in the manual for my boiler:

bLSbk5R.png

For a nest setup would I need to get a new cable put in to the boiler..?

comp-system-wiring-diagram.png

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are the mains supply, programmer and boiler all fairly close together?
If it's reasonably easy to run a new 3 core flex from the 3A spur to the boiler that's what I would be happier doing.
As the heatlink doesn't need an earth connection you could use another 3 core flex to connect Live, Neutral and Switched Live (LR) back from the boiler to the heatlink.

Are the mains supply, programmer and boiler all fairly close together?
If it's reasonably easy to run a new 3 core flex from the 3A spur to the boiler that's what I would be happier doing.
As the heatlink doesn't need an earth connection you could use another 3 core flex to connect Live, Neutral and Switched Live (LR) back from the boiler to the heatlink.
Hi mate
Yes they are all right next to each other, Is heat resistant 0.75mm flex cable adequate or would it need to be more like 1.5mm flex?
Cheers

Heat resistant flex is good and 0.75 mm will be perfectly happy.

In case there's any doubt about the wiring, LR goes to Terminal 3 in the heatlink and you'll need a short wire link between Live and terminal 2.

If you use the green/yellow wire for the LR connection make sure it has a brown or red sleeve at both ends to show it is no longer an earth wire.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

In case there's any doubt about the wiring, LR goes to Terminal 3 in the heatlink and you'll need a short wire link between Live and terminal 2.

If you use the green/yellow wire for the LR connection make sure it has a brown or red sleeve at both ends to show it is no longer an earth wire.
Thanks again :)
I shall do another diagram to make sure we are all on the same boat (y)
It's actually 5 core heat flex I have here.. got some 1.5mm and 0.75mm.

Cheers

Hi
So would this be it?
I was hoping to keep the earth cable as the future plan is to add a wiring junction box and 3 x 2 port valves and 2 more nests for them areas.

R3XdDFn.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure how I managed to post this in the Electrics outside of UK forum but can a moderator please move this post to the normal UK electrics forum?

Thanks

+++++++++
no, its plumbing and heating
+++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how I managed to post this in the Electrics outside of UK forum but can a moderator please move this post to the normal UK electrics forum?

Thanks

+++++++++
no, its plumbing and heating
+++++++++
Lol ok.. round and round i go.. thanks

Actually.. to be honest it's more electrics question.. it's about wiring up a system not plumbing it in for water.

it's about wiring up a system not plumbing it in for water.

Indeed, but very few electricians can competently wire up heating systems - it's best left to heating engineers who actually understand how the system works

Indeed, but very few electricians can competently wire up heating systems - it's best left to heating engineers who actually understand how the system works

Wondering can anyone suss this one out..
It's the final system I want to have with 3 x 2 port zone valves, also a honeywell 10way wiring box / junction box..

Here is the blank plan... and also the info on the zone valves I have...
ynqeJF8.jpg

And this is from the zone valve manual:

JFquUT5.png

can anyone do a rough sketch on the blank one posted above on where the wires terminate then I can redo the diagram and upload?

Thanks

Would take me too long.
How about..
Boiler Live to Honeywell 1
Neutral to 2
Earth to 3

All three valves...greys to Honeywell 1 Live
.......Blues to 2 Neutral
....Yellow/greens to 3 Earth
.....Orange all to 7
......Browns individually to 4,5,6.

Then each heatlink gets Live and Neutral from Honeywell 1 & 2
A short link required from Live to 2 in each heatlink.
3 from each heatlink to go individually to Honeywell 4,5,6

Honeywell 7 goes to LR in boiler.

Have I left anything out?

Would take me too long.
How about..
Boiler Live to Honeywell 1
Neutral to 2
Earth to 3

All three valves...greys to Honeywell 1 Live
.......Blues to 2 Neutral
....Yellow/greens to 3 Earth
.....Orange all to 7
......Browns individually to 4,5,6.

Then each heatlink gets Live and Neutral from Honeywell 1 & 2
A short link required from Live to 2 in each heatlink.
3 from each heatlink to go individually to Honeywell 4,5,6

Honeywell 7 goes to LR in boiler.

Have I left anything out?

Thanks so much, I shall draw that up then upload :)

James

The Honeywell terminals 1&2 in particular will get a bit crowded but they're usually fairly roomy.

You could link a single flex for L&N from one heatlink to the next if it's easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back