current prices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , just wondered what site prices are for skimming on board per sqm and rendering etc.

just interested as i am am on day rate these days !

Sponsored Links
:eek: You mean some charge to skim, but to actually finish the job (float) its more than double?
Or did i misunderstand that?

For smaller jobs i do my own skimming but for a big roof (Which i may have soon) i'd get someone in, so this is good info for me too.

:eek: You mean some charge to skim, but to actually finish the job (float) its more than double?
Or did i misunderstand that?

For smaller jobs i do my own skimming but for a big roof (Which i may have soon) i'd get someone in, so this is good info for me too.
a skim of multi finish =£3 and float and set "basecoat and skim"= £7.50
these are site prices where onsite there is a lot of meterage for the spread to make his money thats why its so cheap, you will be hard pressed to find some one to do it for that price on one little job

Sponsored Links
My cousin is working on a site in leeds! And they are paying £2.50 for skimming. To do a whole living room size! You'd end up with £120....sod that....I'll stick with private houses! I'd rather have no work than work on a site!

My cousin is working on a site in leeds! And they are paying £2.50 for skimming. To do a whole living room size! You'd end up with £120....s** that....I'll stick with private houses! I'd rather have no work than work on a site!
@ £3 a m2 you could end up with £300 for the day for skimming 100m2, or if you manage to float and set just 20m2, @ 7.50 that would give you 150 a day , on a good site you could earn well over a grand a week maybe £1500 a week your cousen must only be skimming 50 a day to earn 120 , looks like the meterage isent there at his site or he would be skimming more, and to be honest im happy with 120 a day thats my minimum onsite if the meterage falls below that its time to walk

£25 an hour with a cut off of upto 10 hours a day, labourers get £11 per hour.

I suppose i meant that i dont want to be on a site because of the rules as well. But i dont want to be doing 100sqm a day....not every day!

I suppose i meant that i dont want to be on a site because of the rules as well. But i dont want to be doing 100sqm a day....not every day!
i can understand that i know a few spreads that have quit because of the daft rules they are making it harder to earn money

peaps2 , not many places paying that these days, that much I do know, there would be quite a line outside your house for £36 an hour with a Labrador !

On site, in 'average' houses its very hard for a man on his own NOT to do 90m2 a day - it's just 3x30m2 guages.

ONce you are getting a mimimum rate that you are happy with, I think pence per metre is less important than:

- the type of work (ie complicated dormer room v square rooms. High ceilings v 2.4m ceilings Lot of reveals v lot of flat walls , and so on

- repeat work ( a great price in one big house may not be better than a decent price in 20 nice units where the work is in sequence)

What I mean to say is 3.50 may be a poor rate on one job and 2.90 a good rate on another

On site, in 'average' houses its very hard for a man on his own NOT to do 90m2 a day - it's just 3x30m2 guages.

ONce you are getting a mimimum rate that you are happy with, I think pence per metre is less important than:

- the type of work (ie complicated dormer room v square rooms. High ceilings v 2.4m ceilings Lot of reveals v lot of flat walls , and so on

- repeat work ( a great price in one big house may not be better than a decent price in 20 nice units where the work is in sequence)

What I mean to say is 3.50 may be a poor rate on one job and 2.90 a good rate on another
yes i would rather be on a bit less money with nice big hits, that a bit more money with loads of reveals , bulkheads and the like espec when they are not paying for linear m

i can understand that i know a few spreads that have quit because of the daft rules they are making it harder to earn money

Gloves-cant hold my trowel with gloves on.....

Glasses- i wear normal glasses, so safety glasses on i cant see nothing, especially with multi dripping on them!!!

Hard hat- cant wear them while skimmng, i look up it falls off, i skim a ceiling, the hat stabs the ceiling...?

Boots- i dont mind them

Hi vis--thats ok....

I know loads of people who wont do work on sites anymore....

at christmas i worked on a site for 4 days, helping someone, my friend was the health and safety manager/site manager. He said we can do what we want, as long as we render the boiler room. We had 2 ladders with a scaffold board, like the old days...and we were left alone, no problems, no accidents, and it was rendered quickly, safely and perfect.

Gloves-cant hold my trowel with gloves on.....

Glasses- i wear normal glasses, so safety glasses on i cant see nothing, especially with multi dripping on them!!!

Hard hat- cant wear them while skimmng, i look up it falls off, i skim a ceiling, the hat stabs the ceiling...?

Boots- i dont mind them

Hi vis--thats ok....

I know loads of people who wont do work on sites anymore....

at christmas i worked on a site for 4 days, helping someone, my friend was the health and safety manager/site manager. He said we can do what we want, as long as we render the boiler room. We had 2 ladders with a scaffold board, like the old days...and we were left alone, no problems, no accidents, and it was rendered quickly, safely and perfect.
its not just the saftey rules there are other things now, for instance my m8 was yellow carded for not having his podium gate shut its like football 2 yellows and your off, also dont make any mess or someone will come round and take a photo of it i even caught the painters taking a picture of a splash of bondit that was on a mist coat, they said they was going to fine the labourers boss who done it, these fines and counter fines run into thousands, you even have football style turnstyles now with your own security pass and if you loose it its a £15 fine, the fire drills always get me thats not funny when you have a few walls on the go and they want you to go and line up at the muster point which is on the other side of the site, on some sites they check your hop up if your aloud one and they put a tag on it saying its safe, they also want to pat test your drill and lights, on one site in brighton the only way i could get to a bit of wall that needed skimming was with a step ladder , hold on someone said you have to have a step ladder pass, i had to wait for half an hour b4 i was given it , you wear it on your arm it says step ladder permit what did i have to do to get a step ladder permit? nothing just ask for one, on another site my m8 was on he said that you wasent aloud to walk anywhere on your own you had to have a buddy so if you wanted to use the toilet for instance your buddy had to go with you, and if you was caught without your buddy you was off site its all going to far, i know what you mean about the hard hat a few times ive bent down and its hit the wall ive just done with it but you get used to the gloves its the goggles i cant get used to they steam up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back