Current rating of BS1363 socket terminals.

.... If, but only if, they are using a laptop without an external keyboard. That may be what you do and it may even be common practise, but unless you can provide evidence that it is what a significant majority of 'ordinary' (domestic or whatever) users do, it is remarkably arrogant of you to speak on behalf of them and describe what they do and do not do. ....
Since this thread has drifted seriously off-topic (probably no longer even appropriate for this forum!) I have responded to this message in a new thread.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
... using Alt-nnn works everywhere ...
As long as you re-define "everywhere" as "everywhere using the same character encoding". If you've never experienced the "joy" of dealing with a load of hieroglyphics due to differences in character set then you've not lived ;)
It's a LOT better these days now that character sets are more standardised, but some of us recall the days when you had to choose between being able to print '#' and being able to print '£' - it typically being decided by a switch that set which character a particular ASCII code would print.

As long as you re-define "everywhere" as "everywhere using the same character encoding".

Actually I meant in all applications on your computer.

I most certainly have experienced what you are talking about, quite possibly to a greater deal than you have. I worked for a long time on a product where the main message carrying product underneath handled translation between CCSIDs, if it was configured correctly.

That is easier said than done when the client is using one office as an IT hub for offices in multiple countries that used different CCSIDs and the messages (at least potentially) could go anywhere in the world.

Well "all application on your computer" is not too helpful when discussing internet forums - unless you can guarantee that somewhere along the line, either everyone uses the same code page, or "something" takes care of translation.

Sponsored Links
@SimonH2,

I think that you are being overly pedantic here. This is a English language forum, the readers are almost certain to have their computers set to use an English code page (e.g. Latin-1), and so they will have few if any problems when posting on any other English language forum.

Latin-1 will enable people to write virtually every character in use in western Europe and the vast majority of those from the rest of Europe, apart from Greek, the Slav languages that use Cyrillic, and I think that is it.

I suspect that for most people the %age of cases that will fall outside that is extremely small indeed. So I think that 'all' is a reasonable approximation (abbreviation?) in a DIY forum (not in the computing section).

Are you trying to say that you have never used 'all' (or 'every' or something like that) when you mean 'essentially every case that you will come across unless someone is is doing things differently from the vast majority of people'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back