Currently building a garage Need Advice

Sponsored Links
first thing you need to do is lose that course of blocks across the garage door at floor level.

you will also need to compact the flooring hard core, blind it with sand then install a dpm.

you could install the garage doors next or at least the frame. this will give you an indication of where the floor level should be.

you will then need to fit a shutter board across the opening then lay the floor slab on top of the dpm.

you are then free to pave the yard ramping it up to the new garage floor level. it's up to you what material you use for the yard but make sure there is an incline into the garage. this will prevent water ingress.

I appreciate your input, thank you, the brickies left that course of bricks as an indication of the floor level height, and also the garage roller doors will close down to them, the garage floor will butt up to the bricks, same height as the side door entrance
i was thinking of concreting to whole outside of the garage, with 2 ramps either side of the garage and a step at the side entrance, but I'm unsure how this will work or look, never seen it before, anyone know a site with pictures etc? also about the plastering, will i need internal windowsills before plasters come?

Sponsored Links
your top window will be half in the ceiling if you fit a loft space..

i'd use those engineered timber "I" beams for the loft space..

you'll also need to get the sparky back to alter the lighting if you put the loft in.. and lights in the loft also..

might i sugest a drain all the way around the outside.. since it's at a lower level than the land adjacent..

hello and thank you for your reply, i am aware i do need a drain system around my garage, both downpipes from guttering will be fitted to the left hand side closest the retaining wall entering into storm drains front and rear and move the water to where exactly? i am unsure on the final location..maybe a 1 meter deep soak away in front of garage would suffice?
regards

I would advise rendering the o/s of the garage and also the retaining wall which you can then paint to suit.

Window boards can always go in later they can be stuck down with an adhesive such as no nails.

A soakaway in front of the garage means concreting over it is a no no.

Your builders yard should advise you on timber sizes for your loft storage areas if you show them your spec pics etc.

Good luck only wish I had space to build a garage like yours.
Pete

westwood187 said:
I thank you, the brickies left that course of bricks as an indication of the floor level height, and also the garage roller doors will close down to them, the garage floor will butt up to the bricks,

by not removing the blocks, you will end up with a visible, 4" strip of blocks sandwiched between concrete floor and external paving. it will look c.r.a.p.

the roller shutter doors will close down onto the concrete floor just the same. set the shutterboard dead level and finish the concrete to the board.

you will end up with a truer more resilient finish too.

You seem to be tackling this project in a very strange way! Looking at what you’ve done, how you’ve done it & from the sort of questions your asking, my advice would be to seek help from a local builder!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back