curtain rail screw pulled out of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. This is my first post and I’m after some advice. My partner somehow whilst cleaning managed to pull the curtains and hanger off the wall. It’s left a big hole and I’m unsure of how to tackle it. Ordinarily I’d fill it, sand it and paint it but I don’t think filler will be very structurally sound. I will need to re fix the hanger in exactly the same place it came out of as the curtains are made to measure. What product should I use to be able to drill back in too and be strong enough to hold a curtain. I will use longer screw next time. Before I just used the 50mm screws that came with the pole. Any advice would be very welcome.

Attachments

• 39EA4E22-4BEB-4C72-B469-AFA64C977CE5.jpeg
    39EA4E22-4BEB-4C72-B469-AFA64C977CE5.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 413
Sponsored Links
There are plenty of videos on you tube to repair holes in poster board by basically filling the circular hole with cut plasterboard and filling etc
That would get you a nice finish but the problem is then reattaching the curtain pole. What’s left inside the hole?

it's not plasterboard

It appears to be plaster on brick or block. There seems to be a layer of mortar render.

How old is the house? Do you know what the wall is built of?

Are you using a plastic rail or a wooden pole? Show us the brackets.

The hole does not need to be in the same position as the old one. For fitted curtains it only needs to be at the same height.

Your screw and plug will need to be long enough to penetrate at least an inch into brickwork. Disregard the thickness of plaster and render which have no strength.

Post a pic with something in to show scale so we can gauge size of hole. A coin or your hand will do, or a ruler.

Nothing. It’s a big hole. I’ve seen ronseal big hole filler. Read reviews and looks good. Lots of people with the same issue and it worked for the. Gonna give it a go. If it fails I have a plan B

Sponsored Links
House is 1930’s it’s about 60mm deep and about the size of a golf ball. Your right about what you can see. Brick. Render then plaster. The render is quite thick. About a centimetre. The bracket is a curtain pole bracket with 2 50mm screws. I could fill the hole then reposition both brackets either end.

I don't know how big the brackets are. A 50mm screw might usually be enough.

When you know how far the brick is below the surface, calculate a screw depth that, after bracket, plaster and render will penetrate the brick at least an inch, preferably 40mm

Drill your hole, vacuum or wash out the loose dust.

The plasplug has to go deep into the hole so it is surrounded by brick. you can tap it right in by using a rod (not a screwdriver) or a long screw. A screw may get jammed in but you can remove it by unscrewing from the plug.

You can get extra-long screws and plugs sold as "frame fixings"

example
s-l225.webp

If the plug is not a tight fit in the hole, inject builders adhesive, of the "no-more-nails" type, but a cheaper own-brand will do, deep into the hole. It must go right to the back, with no air bubble behind it, before you press in the plug. Let the adhesive set overnight before driving the screw in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back