Curved brick arches above windows in new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Hopefully someone has come across this issue before

Standard cavity wall, 102 external, 100 cavity (50mm Partial Celotex) 100mm inner.
Inner wall needs a straight edge at the top of the window frame
Outer wall needs a curve with a 75mm rise
Window width 1200mm

How do i 'lintel' this? BCO has not given any real advice... ! Apart from they are not keen on using a wooden former...

I have seen the curved arch former's that sit on top of a standard cavity lintel but these are white plastic and the windows are wooden so that won't really work.

Could i put 2 single skin lintels in, one on the block and one directly ontop of the arch so the arch is only supporting itself?

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
Catnic and the like have off the shelf curved lintels but I don't know if they have one to your specific dims. They might do you a special?

Why can't you just build arches?

Indeed, however usually you use a timber former and build around that, but the BCO was not happy with that solution due to the timber rotting, his words.

I have sent an email to Catnic and IG for a quote for curved lintels so will see...

Sponsored Links
You dont leave the arch former in! Once the arch as set, you take it out. Think about railway bridges and tunnels

Yes, i did tell him it was only an infill while it was being built. He told me you cannot use an arch for load bearing and it would need a lintel above it so the arch is only supporting itself. It's just trying to find the best solution.

He is talking nonsense, but if you can't deal with that then put a lintel in above the arch. An IG L10 or similar externally and internally the same or a concrete or box lintel.

Or stainless steel expanded metal, but your BCO probably wont have a clue about that either.

If you had just built it without mentioning it, then you would not have this problem with it. Or if the plan drawer had done his job ....

Building a traditional brick arch is a faff, for starters you've got to make the arch former and find a brickie who knows how to do it.

Buying a special lintel is only slightly more expensive or using a proprietary arch former on a standard lintel makes the process so much quicker and simpler. Other than in listed or historic properties does anyone still bother to build a traditional brick arch?

upload_2017-5-3_19-46-57.jpeg
upload_2017-5-3_19-49-53.jpeg
Somebody needs to have a word with whoever built these non-load-bearing arches

images

images

upload_2017-5-3_19-49-53.jpeg

That's the problem with arches in the modern cavity wall. You have to prove that the detailing is correct not only in the arch construction but the abutments etc are correct.
That's why all the ones I've seen on site use steel cavity trays and support systems or lintols. A lot of them come in ready made as part of the lintol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back