Curved brick arches above windows in new extension

Very difficult to calculate the strength of the arch according to him...

You won't need to. No bco would be stupid enough to refuse a certificate and let this go to the Secretary of State for appeal on the basis of an arch not supporting the tiny bit of wall above it.

Sponsored Links
That's why all the ones I've seen on site use steel cavity trays and support systems or lintols. A lot of them come in ready made as part of the lintol.

That's more a commercial decision based on time and ease, and the skill of the workforce.

If you really want a traditional brick arch just crack on and get it built, the building inspector is being a muppet.

However there is one flaw in your initial suggestion, do not put in a lintel above the arch, the weight of the wall above the arch makes the arch stronger, it needs to be in compression (or is it tension, I can never remember). You would only put in a spreader or relieving beam if there was a large point load coming down onto the arch.

Oh and don't forget the cavity tray, always tricky with an arch in a cavity wall, you'll probably have to put that in the course above the arch.

Oh and don't forget the cavity tray, always tricky with an arch in a cavity wall, you'll probably have to put that in the course above the arch.
It's better to buy a purpose made one nowadays. They make them along the road from me in Yeovil.
Weathering of the arch in a cavity wall used to be more of a problem in the past.
I saw one of the Council BCO's today and asked about this issue. He said that they would require some details if the arch was unsupported by a lintel.

Sponsored Links
An arch works perfectly well if constructed properly. If not it can fail. I can understand them wanting to know what a novice working on a building notice was going to use to span his patio doors or similar for example.

I ordered 4 curved steel lintels from IG in the end, quite expensive at £500 but they will do what i want and keep BCO happy. I also do not need a cavity tray over the lintels as i have sufficent eaves overhang of 300mm.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Complete waste of money.

And if you are saying that you have eaves just above the arch then I would need to find another adjective that means worse than "complete".

Maybe yes, but it keeps BCO happy, gives me (Novice) an easier time building the arch. If i was to buy standard flat lintels and arch former's it still comes in at just over £300.

What would you do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back