Curved upstand at back of work surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having a work surface installed in front of pipework below the boiler in the kitchen.
It'll need to be removable in case we need access to pipework etc.

One side and the back of it will be curved to go around pipes, and the water tank.
We'd like a small (inch or so perhaps) upstand at the sides and back to stop things falling down the back, following the edge curves.

Any creative ideas on what we could use for that?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I guess it could depend on the radius of the curve required but bending timber wouldn't be feasible.
How about cutting a curve out of 25mm timber - even MDF would do if it's kept dry? Easy enough with a jig saw, better with a band saw but even a coping saw would get you there!
John :)

I guess it could depend on the radius of the curve required but bending timber wouldn't be feasible.
How about cutting a curve out of 25mm timber - even MDF would do if it's kept dry? Easy enough with a jig saw, better with a band saw but even a coping saw would get you there!
John :)
Thanks John, it's an approach to think about, there'll be a few curves - one around the tank, and a couple around pipework...

Thanks John, it's an approach to think about, there'll be a few curves - one around the tank, and a couple around pipework...
You would normally square off any covering of pipework , curving will look messy .

Like these

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
You would normally square off any covering of pipework , curving will look messy .

Like these

Yes, it's an unusual situation - we have some particularly beautiful pipework, levers, controls and dials, covering a whole wall, which we want to keep exposed - it's a bit like the engine room of the Nautilus....

So we're not looking to cover the pipework, just to stop things falling off the back of the work surface.

I did think about cutting down Pendock type pipe casing - unfortunately it's not going to have a large enough radius for the tank, and would end up with a lot of joins - I'm also not sure that they do a version with a finish on the inside of the curve?

Bendy plywood? Though that needs a backing to fix to.
I'm not sure it'd get it down to a 5 cm radius?
I'm now wondering about something like copper, nailed on the back edge of the work surface, which is being cut with a router, so should have a clean edge, or something plastic, - maybe something intended as a flexible upstand...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back