Curvy kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Within 4-6 weeks a new kitchen (high street but as smart as poss) will need to be in at the house I've just bought. There's a separate living room but the units will be semi-open plan to a largish dining room. The available kitchen area is 3800x2230m and lends itself to a natural L shape plus peninsula or island.

The longer side of the L leads to a back door into a small yard separate from the main rear garden. I'd like that to end in a curved base unit - I know they're rather more expensive than standard boxes but it'll enhance the feeling of flow.

I also envisage an inverse curve at the corner of the L, on which I'm thinking of straddling a hob diagonally, with a ceiling-hung cylindrical hood above. Wall units would be set back away from that corner to meet regulations, and would also end in curves.

Tall units for appliances (ovens, fridge freezer) would be clustered separately from the L. Doors would be solid slab gloss rather than panelled/Shaker style. The kitchen will be professionally fitted.

Questions:

1. Are there particular pitfalls in incorporating curved units in general (apart from expense and smaller internal capacity)?
2. Ditto with diagonal fitting of a corner hob?
3. If the corner base unit is 900+x900+ (exact dimensions seem to vary between suppliers) and has a concave door, could it accommodate a carousel as well as having a hob on top?
4. Any idea why Howdens has suddenly stopped offering the inverse curve option? Pointers too please to suppliers that do carry it as part of their range: so far I've found only Cooke & Lewis from B&Q.

Thanks, James

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back