curved walls skirting?

Sponsored Links
because of the cuts/grooves in the back, the wood is no longer thick enough to countersink them into the wood.

Oh yeah, silly me :oops:
Hubby has just scored the front of one piece and is trying to fit it to the curve as I speak!
Keping my fingers crossed, that I don't hear any load cracking noises!
Cheers for now, good luck.

Go and help him!

The more places you can push the better in my experience.
If you push from the middle it will pick a single place to bend (and then snap)
Once you see that happening you need to force it to bend in another place by applying pressure elsewhere. Needs at least 4 hands.
Hope that makes sense.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Well that's one curve done. It did snap, so now installed in two parts. It looks very messy with all the notches on the outside and loads and loads of screw heads. I am going to get some Dulux Damaged Wall paint today to try and give a smoother finish than filling......got to move fast tho, if it is to be glossed and dry by carpet fitting tomorrow!

One curve down, 3 to go!! How is yours going Kevin?

I've glued blocks of wood to the wall and it is all held in place with screws. Once dried - prob tomorrow night, I will remove again and glue the actual scrirting to the blocks of wood and screw back in place.

Then I'll leave it alone until after the bank holiday and remove the screws.

Then we'll really see whether it is going to work.

Mine is in two parts anyway - will need some filler, but if it goes back on where it is now it doesn't look too bad.

What do you mean about notches on the outside? I didn't do anything with the outside face of mine - just the back.

Glad I only have the one to do - sorry to hear you have another 3!!
At least one is done - should get easier.

Re: the notches/kerfs on the front: I took note of that Ultimate Handyman website link you gave me where it says "..the cuts of wood should be on the side that needs compressing, so for internal corners, the cuts will be on the front of the skirting, and for external corners, the cuts will be on the back". I think also some people have posted this info on this forum. As I say, it just makes it look rather messy.
We have learnt a lot from this first exercise, thanks for the info on several people bending the wood into the wall, that should help next time.

I hope yours goes well over Easter. Good luck.

We'll have a virtual party when its all complete!! :LOL:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense in terms of bending, but as you said it must make a mess. At least you have one done though - I'm sure the rest will be easier.

Looking up kerf cuts as I post... But I have unpainted Oak to play with... Not sure I fancy my chances :/

How did your reamining ones go then?
I took the screws out of mine on Sunday night and so far it hasn't budged so think I have got away with it.

However, I do hope that statement wasn't a case of famous last words!

Hi Kevin,

I'm pleased your skirting looks ok. Ours is in place, but still looks a mess with all the kerfs. We've been rather busy doing other things to get ready for tilers eg. tanking showers, sealing walls and laying underfloor heating!
We will paint it all soon I hope....but still 3 curved skirtings to go. We will try your way next time!
Thanks for your help and all the best.

Further update. I applied Dulux Damaged Treatment over the kerfs on the fitted skirting. I applied it with a brush. The brush marks sanded beautifully smooth after it was dry. The curved skirting is now painted and looks brilliant! I can definitely recommend that Dulux stuff and will be using it on cracked walls all over my house now! :)

Unfortunately though yet another length of skirting outside bending under weights has cracked at a knot. :mad:

Glad it all ended up OK in the end.
Could you send me a link to the dulux paint - or tell me where you got it from? Just tried searching but no luck.

Ah, I've used it before actually. Didn't even think of using on wood though. Might hive it a go if I find any big gaps on mine.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back