Cut and Pitch Rates "Labour Only"

Sponsored Links
Invest in a smartphone and no longer mentally demanding the phone has calculator etc.
Hmmm, I find a calculator for adding measurements together is limited, I work in feet and inches, half inch, quarter inch and eights. Therefore for I'd have to convert the fractions to decimals and then vise versa, it would take to long.

Equally smart phones don't have advanced features for trigonometry, whereas as a scientific calculator does.

A pencil and a piece of paper and my brain is my preffered method.

Besides, i didnt say I was struggling with Math. So my Smart Phone stays in the Van.

Hmmm, I find a calculator for adding measurements together is limited, I work in feet and inches, half inch, quarter inch and eights. Therefore for I'd have to convert the fractions to decimals and then vise versa, it would take to long.
There are construction calculators and smartphone apps out there which work in Imperial, you know! But working in Imperial? WTF? We went metric about 50 years ago. Didn't you get the memo, or something? ;)

A pencil and a piece of paper and my brain is my preffered method.
Which surely makes metric an easier choice?

Sponsored Links
There are construction calculators and smartphone apps out there which work in Imperial, you know! But working in Imperial? WTF? We went metric about 50 years ago. Didn't you get the memo, or something? ;)

Which surely makes metric an easier choice?
There probably are Apps for this that and the other. I know we are metric, but not entirely, for example a sheet of ply 8' x 4' internal doors 2', 2'3, 2'6 and so on.

I bought a book called Roof Framing by Marshall Gross about 15 years ago and read it cover to cover and learnt, trigonometry etc. The whole calculation system is feet and inches, per foot run and rise etc, plus I have the framing square that is feet and inches with all the measurements for each run at each angle which I use to work stuff out.

I know it's old school but it works and I enjoy it.........

There probably are Apps for this that and the other. I know we are metric, but not entirely, for example a sheet of ply 8' x 4' internal doors 2', 2'3, 2'6 and so on.
For which there are metric equivalents - in point of fact I can't recall seeing architects drawings specifying Imperial door sizes in decades - a 6ft 6in x 2ft 9in door is now referred to as 1981 x 838mm, but that is a retrofit size, not a new build size. On the flip side many DDA doors (in fact all the DDA doors I've installed for 15+ years) are 2040 x 926mm, a metric size (or 6ft 8-1/4in x 3ft 0-5/8in). As I said, Imperial sized doors are often retained for retrofit with many new builds using metric doors, like the 2040 x 726mm and 2040 x 826mm for which there are no direct Imperial equivalents.

As far as sheet material goes, what about plasterboard (commonly 2400 x 1200 and 1800 on x 900mm) or T&G chipboards (2400 x 600mm)?

I bought a book called Roof Framing by Marshall Gross about 15 years ago and read it cover to cover and learnt, trigonometry etc. The whole calculation system is feet and inches, per foot run and rise etc, plus I have the framing square that is feet and inches with all the measurements for each run at each angle which I use to work stuff out.
So you bought an American book (and we all know how up on metric Yanks can be) and you have an Imperial roofing square and presumably tables. Well, the trigonometry works in metric (I was taught it at school in metric in the 1960s - Nuffield maths), is probably easier, and there are metric roofing squares as well as metric rafter tables - if you can find an intelligent tool dealer (mine is a Swanson - an American brand, a previous one was a Stanley and also metric).

Get onto a new roof, ome with architects drawings and it's all metric, because if you get drawings from an architect they will all be metric

Last edited by a moderator:

I know it's old school but it works and I enjoy it.........
I used trig very early on, when I started building roofs. It's incredibly accurate and simple - if you have a good handle for math's. I measure between plates and use the roof pitch as my other parameter. What it does is give you your right angle triangle measurements, but from the crook of the birds-mouth rather than the say the top of the rafter.

Hips are always trial and error though.

Last edited:
So you bought an American book (and we all know how up on metric Yanks can be) and you have an Imperial roofing square and presumably tables. Well, the trigonometry works in metric (I was taught it at school in metric in the 1960s - Nuffield maths), is probably easier, and there are metric roofing squares as well as metric rafter tables - if you can find an intelligent tool dealer (mine is a Swanson - an American brand, a previous one was a Stanley and also metric).

Get onto a new roof, ome with architects drawings and it's all metric, because if you get drawings from an architect they will all be metric
What I actually did was buy a book - newish to Carpentry the 55 year old builder whom I was labouring for couldn't teach me Cut & Pitch!

So I took the initiative, bought a book, and learnt about roof framing, I read the book cover to cover and built some basic roofs in my garden. As a complete novice I wasn't in a position to think to question Imperial v Metric.

Equally working with a builder whom was probably schooled in Imperial is most probably why I'm stuck in Imperial, fortunately I am aware of metric and can convert with ease.

As far as architects drawings and roof framing is concerned, apart from specifying timber sizes, and structural elements along with the engineers spec, they are pretty useless, i have even had to question architects on Purlins or lack of, most don't even specify the roof pitch and you can't measure the span off of a drawing.

This current roof had a 170 x 47mm double trimmer that sat at plate height to transfer the load from 2 further 6x2 double trimmers via 2 no. 100mm x 100mm posts, unfortunately the 7x2 double trimmer would of meant the hip and valley hip would have no bearing on the wall plate, we had to house the double trimmer on padstones on the internal skin of block work - this was the engineers mistake.

Anyway, Metric v Imperial, it matters not, what matters, inspite of which measurement system you prefer is you do a professional job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back