Cut and Pitch Rates "Labour Only"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cat out of the Bag.

I am a Carpenter mostly self taught albeit qualified. Cut and Pitch is both mentally and physically demanding.

My question is, what is an acceptable Day Rate that reflects the knowledge/experience.

I am South East and charge £250 a day labour plus fuel, despite having the knowledge of cut and pitch i do it seldomly, but £250 doesn't sit right, I think £350 is more accurate.

Happy to be directed.

Sponsored Links
Do carpenters charge extra for what they know about certain work, or just charge a market rate for being a carpenter?

I know I only expect to see one rate for a chippie, one for a brickie, one for a sparks .......

Charge what you want .
You'll soon see if you are worth what you produce .

I have contacts that bang up a cut roof with hips and valleys all over and don't even work up a sweat , and do it fast . And don't charge 350 plus fuel . Maybe a Costa now and again

Cuckoo cuckoo ..

Do carpenters charge extra for what they know about certain work, or just charge a market rate for being a carpenter?

I know I only expect to see one rate for a chippie, one for a brickie, one for a sparks .......
So my point is this.

I fit alot of kitchens and charge £250 a day plus fuel, plus overheads plus materials plus profit.

Cut and Pitch imo is a higher skill set than screwing boxes together, therefore the day rate should be higher, or, am I missguided?

Sponsored Links
Cat out of the Bag.

I am a Carpenter mostly self taught albeit qualified. Cut and Pitch is both mentally and physically demanding.

My question is, what is an acceptable Day Rate that reflects the knowledge/experience.

I am South East and charge £250 a day labour plus fuel, despite having the knowledge of cut and pitch i do it seldomly, but £250 doesn't sit right, I think £350 is more accurate.

Happy to be directed.
interesting thread
Cut and Pitch is both mentally and physically demanding.
sounds like its not for you then if its stressful to you doesnt make it worth any more than its actual value
I am a Carpenter mostly self taught albeit qualified
your value will be what people are prepared to pay 'your thoughts on your level off expertises are no more than your opinion --- of course if you have cert off your skills that off course counts
self-taught can be as good iff up to the same standard as expected ??

Variable rates won't make you attractive or efficient as you need to price every hour at a different rate according to your assumed value for each item

qualified means quick efficient and automatic solutions to problems with near to zero thought ------

just my opinions as a chippie:giggle:

Last edited:
I think I'm being arrogant.

I have fitted 100's of kitchens, so it really is second nature to me, but I'm also being dismissive of the skill and knowledge of fitting kitchens.

Whereas cut and pitch, I don't do that often, so it's not second nature and I have to get the grey matter working again.

The stresses definitely come from self doubt and a bit of lack of confidence born of lack of experience.

Anyway we got this up in three and half very long days, I'm going back today to put the king posts in and do the fascia and soffit.

Thanks for grounding me.
20230713_173802.jpg
20230714_173331.jpg
20230714_173427.jpg

Cut and Pitch imo is a higher skill set than screwing boxes together, therefore the day rate should be higher, or, am I missguided?
How about

Roof framing is first fix and requires less skill, less precision than kitchen fitting, and Mrs Jones won't be marvelling to her friends at the birdsmouths and rafter spacing like she would with the soft close hinges and pop up power point tower, so she won't pay more per day for here roof than her kitchen?

Can a roof framer scribe delicate gloss laminate to uneven plaster as easy as he can cut a compound mitre? He may want more than his usual day rate for that scribing.

I fit alot of kitchens and charge £250 a day plus fuel, plus overheads plus materials plus profit.
My late father, a time served C&J, retired in the 1979-80 tax year; at the time he charged £30 per day (£198 today) no matter what type of work he was doing, based in the East Midlands. Materials at retail. Consumables (Nails, screws, abrasives, glue & similar) a fixed addition. His day rate covered all his costs as well as his wages. Travel costs (Van, fuel) tax deducted on production of receipts to accountant, similar for 'phone and workshop electricity.
I only know of 2 occasions when he had the customer pay for parking.

He had his own workshop.

I'd expect you you to add a premium to your day rate if you have a workshop. Otherwise the figure you have quoted is probably about right for your area; just not sure on the 'Profit' charge.

Invest in a smartphone and no longer mentally demanding the phone has calculator etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back