Cut-out in chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to replace a panel from the base unit under the kitchen sink. Some parts were rotten, so I'm just replacing a board like-for-like.

It's melamine-faced chipboard, and I've managed to get 'furniture board' from B&Q to match it. But does anyone have any creative ideas on where I can go to get the square cut-outs in the board (see image)? I don't really have any tools and I'm seeing if I have any options, before buying a jigsaw and learning to use it etc.

I just keep thinking- surely there are places (workshops, businesses?), where I can just ask to pay for this small job. I've googled all sorts of things, even looking at CNC machines. B&Q's timber service couldn't do cut-out's of course. The cut-outs are holes for pipes and I suppose plumbers/kitchen installers just have their own tools...

Thanks in advance,

John

Attachments

• Diagram for email.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG-1773.jpg
    IMG-1773.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
Those cut outs are truly horrible, but very easy to do....
The left one could be done with a coping saw, the centre one really needs a jigsaw as the coping saw throat probably wouldn’t be deep enough - back to the coping saw for the right hand one.
Do you know someone who’s ‘handy’? 20 minutes work there!
John :)

As a joiner it is the sort of thing I could do in a few minutes with my tool kit, although I'm reasonably sure that I would be a bit neater than that. You could try local handyman services, or if you see a plumber or a chippy or a kitchen fitter working on your street why not just ask them. They might do it for free, or for the price of a drink. After all, it's only a 10 minute task. Failing that ask a local joinery shop.

For such a small amount of work you could use a padsaw.

After drawing the lines for the cuts, drill a hole in each corner of each cutout.

A jigsaw would be less effort.

Sponsored Links
Cor thats butchering of the first order.

Multimaster would be my tool of choice .
A deep throat coping saw would do even the middle one,cut from outside the cabinet to minimise chipping.
For the panel I think for the price they are I maybe would have looked at b q type base unit and used just one side as it has the grove for rear panel if that was needed
Idealy the cuts between corner holes should be to the outer circumference so one has a nice square hole with a radius in the corners...oh says im too fussy:)

If you have a drill I would probably look at a holesaw?
Places like Aldi and Lidl sometimes do sets at cheap prices

Thanks everyone for the responses, so many so fast! As for the dodgy old board, yes it's quite old and looks like it was done quickly and cheaply.

I'll admit some of those tools I wan't aware of so will look at them. As an amateur DIYer, it's often just not knowing things that are out there. I see now that many of them are decent prices as well.

Thanks

Buy some tools to do this job and you will have them for the next job too. Don't have to be top of the range stuff but you can add to them as you need to and gradually expand your tool kit as you go.

What are you after, a cheap one off job or some tools that you can re-use?

You can make a hole by twisting a flat screwdriver and then hold a hacksaw or a reciprocating saw wood blade in a cloth, poke it through and cut the shape out.

I've done these with a Leatherman when I've had to. But it depends what you really want.

Best option is to find someone in the street who has the tools. Watch out for a tradesmans van parked up, and ask. Or neighbours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back