Cut through ridge board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm worried about my roof structure. There is a ridge board running the full length of the roof of my 3 storey terraced town house.
But sections have been cut out to accomodate two ridge vents/terminals. One is just open to the loft and the other attached to an asbestos flue pipe from the gas fire.
My question is - should there be some kind of bracing around these cut out sections? Will the roof be stable without bracing?

Cheers. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Should be alright, but for peace of mind you could affix a length of 4x1 to the top of the rafters, centred just below the cut section.

Thanks for the reply. I've managed to upload a photo of one of the missing sections. The other one is very close to this one.

agree with Deluks, fix (screw) some 4x1 under the rafters and close to the ridge spanning maybe 2 rafters each side of the cut.

fix a piece to each pitch.

you would have to move the booster box though.

the ridge board acts only to stabilise the rafter ends and keeps them in line. it has little structural value.

Sponsored Links
personaly I wouldn't worry about it as noseall says the ridge board does very little and it is still doing what it is designed to do at the rafter ends

at least by linking the rafters at the ridge, any thermal or wind loaded movement imparted on the roof is spread laterally throughout the whole roof, at high level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back