Cutter wood with stihl saw Petrol disk cutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cutter wood with stihl saw Petrol disk cutter; can it be done

Have some logs I want to process into firewood and cant get my hands on a chain saw but can on a still saw
question is will it cut with a diamond or carbon disk and if so will it catch on fire
Or can you get a proper disk for it

Thanks
AHC

Sponsored Links
I use a Husqavarna K760 to cut wood with a metal cutting disc.
But not sustained use.

It will eventually heat and disintegrate.

I use a Husqavarna K760 to cut wood with a metal cutting disc.
But not sustained use.

It will eventually heat and disintegrate.

Do you think a metal disk is better then a diamond?
Did the metal disk cut it OK? was it efficient and fast enough?
Did you use the water sprayer on the stihl to cool it down
How much wood can you cut or How long do you think the disk will last?

Use the correct machine for the job. There is one particularly sad story of someone on these forums who didn't and is no longer with us.

Where in the world are you?

Sponsored Links
Use the correct machine for the job. There is one particularly sad story of someone on these forums who didn't and is no longer with us.

Sorry to hear that
I know these chainsaws are a lethal weapon but these stihl saws your not going to loose a limb over it
I live between Northampton and Silverstone

Sorry to hear that
I know these chainsaws are a lethal weapon but these stihl saws your not going to loose a limb over it
I live between Northampton and Silverstone

What happens to your throat when a chunk of disc ends up in it?

Go hire a damn chainsaw.

Don't use your Stihl saw for this.....the discs can burst if not used for the correct material :eek:
I wouldn't recommend anyone using a chainsaw without professional guidance, and that includes electric ones which are much less powerful.
Not being patronising here, but a saw horse and a good bow saw will get you there.
John :)

Cutter wood with stihl saw Petrol disk cutter; can it be done

Have some logs I want to process into firewood and cant get my hands on a chain saw but can on a still saw
question is will it cut with a diamond or carbon disk and if so will it catch on fire
Or can you get a proper disk for it

Thanks
AHC

Kick back from that could break your wrist.

Yeah a sabre saw as I call them. Have a makita.
You could branch a tree with one of those with the big 10" blade.

Though I think one costing less than £30 quid would last about as long an abrasive cutting disc.

they used to do a wood disc for sthil saws not sure if they still sell them as they can be dangerous unlike a chainsaw there is no safety brake, if it snags, breaks free or you slip the only way to stop a cut off saw is by the switch
fibre discs or proper metal diamond tipped concrete/metal discs are no good for cutting wood the blades get too hot and wont last long at all - if they dont fail in a severely dangerous way before they start too burn more than they cut that is. They will cut wood but the blades are not designed to regardless if you use water or not the blade will overheat and eventually fail.
the only real options are hire a chainsaw with relevant ppe, use an axe, a large mitre saw or cut by hand
personally id hire a chainsaw but if you have never used one before or are not confident you may have to look at hiring somebody to do it
cut off saws are ever bit as dangerous as chainsaws if used in the wrong hands

I'm with burnerman.

For logs over about 8"/20cm, I use a saw horse and a two-man crosscut saw. It's ex-WD from 1956, bought on fleaBay. It's really quiet, doesn't need petrol/oil, has a very thin kerf so there's much less mess to clear up and it's not too slow either!

Get your mate or neighbour (or wife!) round for a bit of sawing - it'll get you fit and you'll enjoy those beers even more!

You can still buy them, for less than the price of a chainsaw:

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/acatalog/One_and_Two_Man_Cross_Cut_Saw.html#a57

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back