chain saw not cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
McCulloch 14" chain-saw only done a few hours work, new at xmas 08, has been working great cutting fire logs, but i am cutting a tree stump at present and it will only go into the wood an inch when it just starts to rotate but doesnt actually cut the wood and the blade smokes. I have sharpened the chain but it makes no difference, it does the same now even cutting logs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
Frequent re-sharpening is required in use as the blades go blunt after a few hours use & much more quickly if you hit things like nails or allow the blade to run in the dirt. If you’ve sharpened the blades & it’s still not cutting, it’s either knackered or you’ve not sharpened it correctly! I keep several sharpened chains handy as it's quicker to change the chain & re-sharpen the old one on the bench later.

Also check that the chain lubricator has oil in it & is working correctly i.e. the oil holes in the bar not blocked up. I usually give mine a squirt form a manual oil can every 15 minutes or so as the oil holes can get blocked very easily.

many thanks Richard, you have helped me with my decision. I have been doing the oil etc as you stated but now I am going to buy a new chain tomorrow and hopefully it will work, if not i hope i am covered with the guarantee. regards jane :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back