1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting 900mm worktop

Discussion in 'Building' started by williamglossop, 24 Feb 2021.

1. williamglossop

williamglossop

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have tried/failed to cut an island kitchen worktop 2day. Its 900 mm wide and finished on both edges. When I cut through the left hand side of the laminate worktop, no problems. But as the router got to the other side, it made a right mess. How do u cut both sides with a router? Is the only way to do a climb cut on the right side edge? Or is there another way.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don’t you go in from both sides to avoid breaking out? Although never done a full cut with a router as I use a plunge saw

4. williamglossop

williamglossop

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Problem is going in from the right hand side - you're pushing the router the wrong way (climb cut aka pull cut), but I'm worried it'll cause a mess too. I think the only way is to flip it over...... but my concern is, if I cut say an inch into the work top from the right hand side, then flip it over, its how a line the straight edge up now that I've I've flipped it over, so the cut along the face up side lines up perfectly with the inch cut id made earlier

5. Nozzle

Nozzle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Try clamping something to the edge to keep the formaldhyde from splitting out

Nozzle

6. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you don't have a jig, or can't guarantee clamping on a guide when you flip the top over, then go to about 5mm of the edge and then smooth the last bit off with a file or sanding block.

7. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Jig & flip it over. Silverline jig is about £40 on ebay, with the price of worktop its worth it.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links