Laminate worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I put in a good quality worktop and the customer wanted a butler sink, so had to router the worktop to over hang the sink, I finished it of with the laminate trim which I stuck on with contact adhesive and colour fill.
The problem is that the cut edge is beginning to swell a bit and need a solution to stop it swelling further, any advice appreciated.
Thanks Brian.

Sponsored Links
These sinks are always problematic with normal laminate tops

Did you soak the chipboard core with lots of silicone water repellent or multi-coats of varnish first?

If the core is swelling then water has got in and you may need to trim it back to remove the blown laminate and fit a timber or metal lipping to make up the difference

No I didn't, did cross my mind at the time to varnish it, just stupidly never, it's a durapal black brazil gloss worktop so not sure any edging would look good.

Sponsored Links
Could you try removing the edge strip, cutting out some of the expanded chipboard, refilling with a filler while pressing the laminate down and then re sealing and recovering?

Or route it back and fix some of the bullnosed matching upstand flush with the surface

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back