Cutting a 45 degree angle on a 6 inch post!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a perfect angle on this cut ... and my circular saw is only 11/2 inch deep. I cut cut both sides and finish off with a hand saw but suspect the finish will be poor and need the cut angle to fit flush to another post. I don’t have a band saw or anything like that.
Any advice how to cut this?

2CCCE6A7-D3EB-4C9E-AE4A-6A33FEF94CDA.jpeg

Sponsored Links
make a jig for the saw to run against -that way cutting from both sides will line up -then cut the middle with a handsaw.

Sponsored Links
You could custom make a 6" mitre box and maybe add some plastic or metal edging to keep your lines true?
Or hire a chopsaw big enough for one day.

Can’t picture a chopsaw with enough capacity for a 6x6, bet it ain’t cheap

I know it's not real "joinery" but cut each side with your circular saw and chisel off. Cut and finish the inside section with a multitool. With a decent blade you can literally shave wood off to get it flat. This is how, with no carpentry skills, I managed to achieve good results when cutting the jack rafters for my roof (which require an angled cut across the width and depth of the timber). If you aim for a tiny bit concave you'll have room for a nice squirt of wood glue.

There are large mitre boxes on the market but, quite honestly, I reckon those cuts would be easier with a hand saw. Treat yourself to a brand Jack and crack on with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back