Cutting a cable with the outer sheath

I don't have heavy duty cable cutter like the one you linked to and as John says for very light DIY use the CK ones are over the top. Even 10mm t&e can be cut with ordinary side cutters, just do two or three cuts I'd don't try to cut it all at once. The red and yellow handled cutters I referred to came from Lidl a year or so ago

Sponsored Links
An angle grinder will cut anything in a few seconds
I can't say I've done that, but I think I've been known to take a hacksaw to 16mm T+E - but, even with that cable, as I and others have said, it's no real problem with modest side cutters if one uses multiple 'snips'.

... and for anyone who has a 'bolt cutter', or some fairly heavy-duty 'tin snips', they would presumably do the job as well.

As an 'occasional use DIYer', I certainly would not spend money on anything special for cutting cables up to at least 10mm² (since it would so rarely, if ever, be used) - I'd just use my cheapo side cutters!

Kind Regards, John

The CK cutter's are very sharp and with practice you can also strip cores. I respectfully disagree with John, £20 is an acceptable investment for a good tool that will last, even for a diyer: think about it, it's the cost of a typical family drive through at costa.

Blup

Sponsored Links
The CK cutter's are very sharp and with practice you can also strip cores. I respectfully disagree with John, £20 is an acceptable investment for a good tool that will last, even for a diyer: think about it, it's the cost of a typical family drive through at costa.
I agree that it's not much money, but (if I didn't already have one {actually two or three!}), I would not see much of a point in 'investing' anything significant in a tool which I would hardly ever use, particularly given that I already have different tools that could 'do the job' when needed.

However, having said that, I am an incorrigible acquirer/collector of tools (and am always getting tools as presents!), so it is the case (not particularly rationally!) that I have many (some which cost considerably more than £20) which virtually never get used :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back