cutting a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need tro replace a Sapele door at home and the door will require 20mm sawn off its height for the door to fit. My question is, what is the right way to cut a door? Is it with a circular saw? If so how do you cut the door and prevent chipping etc,

Will appreciate replies and any additional tips.

Homer

Sponsored Links
circular saw, cut 9mm off top and 9mm off bottom use sor form to remove the rest

Did you mean a surform?

p2472708_x.jpg

Sponsored Links
may i suggest that before you cut the 20mm off
you check the door for fit as in if the opening isnt square you plane /surform /belt sand off the top to fit
then the remainder off the bottom

i personaly wouldnt take anything off the top if the openings square i would just cut 20mm off the bottom again checking not only wether the bottom of the door is level
its also worth checking thru out the arc off the doors for high spots

Thanks to all that replied. I will start the job next weekend and by that time I'll have a surform,(':LOL:')

Cheers and beers.

Hi,

I find that a circular saw blade with tungsten tips and fine teeth (I think I have 40 teeth on a 6" blade) give the best cut, even at the cost of £30 or so. I clamp a piece of wood as a guide on the door (or whatever I'm cutting) and get a pretty good and straight finish. The guide on the saw will not give a straight edge. If you have a good side to the door this goes underneath. I am not a fan of Surforms, they're the best way to get a rounded finish. Use an electric planer, a little at a time. Mind your hands, planers are vicious tools.

Rgds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back