Cutting a joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a badly rotten floor joist. I've decided to cut out the rotten section and replace it with some new 3x9. The floor above is a tiled bathroom which I really cannot afford to rip out and re-tile. As such, I can't lift the floor boards above. The joist is parallel to an external wall with only about 2 inches between the wall and joist.

Any ideas how I can cut this fairly cleanly? My only current thought is a wire saw looped over the top of the joist cutting down. Any better ideas?

Sponsored Links
recip saw with long blade
osccilating saw with blade at 90% degree to body
jigsaw and finish with flush cutting blade
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...+Dewalt+Flush+Cut+Jigsaw+Blade++Wood&_sacat=0

you will temporary have to tie say 5 joists together underneath each side and possibly acropropp to stop it moving

and a bit off 7x2 either side will normally be far easier to get in as you can feed it in fairly flat and rotate it to fit

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for that. Flush cut blade looks interesting. Am I right in thinking that the intention is that the blade protrudes forward of the front guard on the jigsaw such that it can cut right up to the floor boards?

yes it sits forward off the machine but you need a jigsaw where the blade goes in without rotating through 90 degrees unless you can remove the baseplate and refit with a blade in place
and without a metal guard to get in the way

Sponsored Links
As per woody.... Why not leave the joist there and fit a new one beside it? Obviously make sure the rot won't continue tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back