Cutting a pear tree - all tree surgeons please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder cut a large arm of my tree tree in June to make may for an extension - he did this using no science and simply cut it with a chain saw.

The 'stump' area is not becoming exposed as the bark rots away - it does not look healthy at all.

I imagine he should have capped it off or something ... anyway.

How can I cut this or save it so it doesn't kill the tree - is there some sort of wax/sealer that tree surgeons use to do this.

Am I best re-cutting the stump and sealing?

The tree already is a little distressed so I don't want to put it through too much stress.

Sponsored Links
do NOT put anything over the wound. This will only seal in any disease and will help spread it through the tree. time is the best healer, the tree will recover. Give the tree a good feed of an all round fertiliser, dug in around it. That will help it recover and fight off any possible disease. What signs of distress is it showing?

Thermo

Distress: the side with the 'cut' has dropped its leaves 2 weeks earlier than the other!

Thats because the tree is diverting attention to healing that area. It should recover. Mother nature is a wonderful thing, but it may take a bit of time, but DONT DONT DONT cover the wound

Thermo

Sponsored Links
Did he leave a big stump? Ideally, branches should be cut off flush with the 'collar' whcih is a slightly thickened ring at the base of the branch. If it is cut there, the stump can heal over more quickly. If he left a big bit sticking out, I would suggest sawing it off closer to the trunk, but only if you can see the 'collar' - it is possible to go too far.

Oh, and I agree, don't paint it with anything!

Love and compost
Linda

A foot long stump and the bark is slowly rotting away down to the base - so shall I cut it back to the main tree or just leave it like suggested earlier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back