Cutting a thick metal pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a thick metal pipe to cut. It's like a scaffolding pole but more narrow. I think it's an old gas or water pipe.

It's in the loft. I have an angle grinder but I'm worried about the sheer amount of sparks coming off. While the loft is full of yellow insulation stuff, it's also full of old bits of wood, dust, old wasp nest bits etc.

Can you think of a way to cut the pipe without setting fire to the loft? I've tried a hack saw but it didn't really make a dent.

Olly

Sponsored Links
Nope. Partition wall goes right through.

In the end I followed my wife's idea and layed several dust blankets down under and around it. Sparks a plenty, and at least two small fires in the dust blanket, but easily put out. And am now pipe free.

If you have just cut it, I would be advising you to go up into the loft to make sure everything is ok.

Andy

Sponsored Links
How do you know it doesn't have gas or water at pressure in it?

The insulation won't be a fire hazard but dry dust will be. You can vacuum up the easy bits, spray water on the rest. Watch where you aim the spark stream, and use a heat proof welding mat or just a damp blanket in the near vacinity.

Sparks aren't that hot, but a sustained shower will eventually heat something to the point ignition. Eventually.

Nozzle

Thanks all

The pipe itself was open at one end and the other was cemented in to a new wall we had built so it's definitely not used. It used to head towards the old water tank. Recon it was the water input pipe once.

If it was horizontal a 12" hacksaw with new blade would have done it . When I was a youg'un I sat in a cupboard with a blade wrapped in a cloth and sawed through a 1 1/4" steel pipe - it was for a M8 though.;) Loads of tea, and beers in the evening @ the pub, as payment(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back