Cutting a way behind kitchen cabinets...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I believe I have mould behind a kitchen corner cabinet (it smells and powdery mould is deposited inside the cabinet). Cleaning and airing with the door open have proved insufficient.

I suspect the mould is on the external walls behind the cabinet. I would like to treat it without having to remove the worktop and cabinet. The only way I can think to do this, is to cut-out the back (and side) of the cabinet to expose the walls behind. However, the estimated gap behind the side panel is 6cm and behind the back panel is 1cm.

Any idea how best to cut these panels out?
Any other bright ideas?

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
The back of the cupboard may well be thin hardboard, but the side is likely to be 15mm chipboard or similar.
How about cutting a rectangle out of the back and sides, as large as is practical without going right up to the edge of the panel? At least you'll be able to get in there, and so will the air.
Consider marking out a rectangle which will give you enough clearance to get a jigsaw in, drilling a 20mm hole (say) with a flat bit in the corners and using your pencil line to cut along with the jigsaw?
You'll be able to make up some sort of replacement panel afterwards - preferably removable so you can keep an eye on your mould growth.
John :)

Thanks John.

I cut the holes as you describe. But, unfortunately not enough clearance for a jigsaw blade so instead I drilled a line of holes (a shed load of holes...) to make the cut. Now it's cleaned up and ventilated, hopefully issue fixed.

Sponsored Links
Would vents in the plinths not have sufficed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back