Cutting already fitted coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This has also been posted in the Decorating and Painting part of the forum. I don't know the best place.

I have bitten the bullet and decided to instal a fitted wardrobe and despite the accuracy of my user name I feel that I can manage it.

The room that the wardrobe is to be fitted into has (modern plaster) coving and there is enough space above the wardrobe doors to fit coving above them and thereby maintain a fully coved room.

So far so good, I understand I will have a hassle with the mitre bit, but what I can't get my head round is how do I cut the existing coving on the wall accurately so that I can have a nice joint.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, you are going to have a problem making the mitre on an already fitted coving, so I see two maybe three alternatives.
1: Remove the whole length and start from stratch.
2: Cut and remove enough of the existing coving, so you can join up to this with a length that has a end mitred. So making one half of your corner
3: Cut the existing coving back enough, so you can fit pre-mitred corners.

I would not normally suggest straight cut joins when butting two pieces together, but I can't see an alternative. As you already have it fitted.

Thanks for the reply Derry Boy :D

Your third option looks the best for someone of my minimal skills. I think I'll go for that!
Glad to be of assistance, make sure you purchase the correct profile and of the same dimensions of your existing set up.
So purchase the pre cut corners first, so you can get your cuts in the right positions.

Sponsored Links
Two ways I could see working would and both require you to make a 90 degree cut through the coving where you wardrobes will come out to it are to

1 - butt and scribe your new coving upto the old in the same way that skirtings would be joined on internal corners

2 - sit the new coving on the ceiling to wall join and slide it towards the existing coving and mark the existing coving, free style a line from the wall corner out to your mard with a knife and keep scoring through it (or use a multi tool if you have one)

Why do you want to put coving in front of your wardrobe? To cover the gap between the wardrobe nd the ceiling? You can use cornice or a suitable skirting board. In the later case, it might be possible to cut the existing coving at 90 degrees to the wall, so you have the skirting board butt against the wall and the coving butt against the skirting board.

I did something similar, not with coving (there is none in the room) but with the existing skirting boards. And used wide skirting boards as a plint at the bottom and as a cornice at the top of a built-in wardrobe. Looks great. Of course, it depends if the finishing of your wardrobe allows such combination.

i think this is what john has described to you but im not entirly sure so ill have a go at what i would do. john sorry if this is what you said.
i would have 2 lengths of coveing and a £3 cove mitre from wickes.
with the first length cut 2 lenghts about a foot long to the right angle then but it up to the exsisting cove, draw a line on the exsisting then cut it out with a stanley knife.
on the second foot long peice do the same but on the opposite end and mark and cut it the same, you then have 2 scalloped ends on your exsisting coveing to measure your new peice to and fit, you might have to sand the corner in a bit to tidy it up but that is what i would do.
as i said sorry john if this is what you said mate.

JR, I think we are both on the same wave length but neither of us gan convey the information properly :LOL: perhaps the OP can read both our posts, put two and two together and get a solution!!

(BTW JR, get to sleep man, I read somewhere that you have a baby coming soon, make the most of sleep now while you can mate!!)

haha sleep would be nice but the misses is up and in a bit of pain the tummys burning apparently so i cnt sleep anyway haha.
i thought we was on the same wave length diddnt want to steal your thunder, thought i could explain it a bit clearer but it turns out ......no ......no i couldnt haha.
OP mix mine and johns together and you shud get the idea its much easier to show you how to rather than write it down

vv2806";p="1911101 said:
Why do you want to put coving in front of your wardrobe? To cover the gap between the wardrobe nd the ceiling?

Hi vv. Thanks for your reply. I want to put coving up to keep the symmetry in the room. There will be space above the wardrobes that I will fill with spacer blocks and cover with white melamine or conti board (purely because there is another fitted wardrobe in the bedroom arranged in that way). The coving will go over the melamine.

1john and jr. Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I see what you mean. What I am going to do is have a go as you suggested and if it is a big mess I will try the method as suggested by prentice boy.

Many thanks to all of you for your interest :D

Just an update. I had a go at scribing the new coving and it worked very well. I really impressed myself. Thanks to everyone for their comments, especially 1john and jr :D

well done NotVeryGoodAtDIYbutSkint
Glad you have had success with the scribing, not something I like to do, normally because my scribing is dog poo! :cry: May need some lesson off you ;)
But glad to hear you have it sorted out.:cool:

well done mate bet it was fun its a nasty job haveing to scribe in exsisting coveing glad it turned out ok for ya, haha reading it back im still not sure how you made sense of what me and 1john wrote haha guess we did sumthing right.
good on ya mate ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back