cutting Coving to corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody.
I tried to fit some coving today in my kitchen. I had some polystyrene coving from B&Q so it would be handy to put it up, right? Wrong. As I was missing the original packaging I was short some information; the distancing from the walls and ceiling, which of the two sides was the ceiling side and which was the wall? I watched the video on YT and decided it looked straight forward but in no way shape or form could I get the internal corners to join. Never got as far as external. The joints were a country mile out, not even close to meeting. I used the mitre box as they did in the video but failed miserably. I'm a competent DIY'er, cut a hole in a partition wall, supported the studs, built a door frame and hung a door but this had me crying!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Sponsored Links
By using a mitre box you are assuming the walls and ceiling are at perfect right angles

They never are

You will need to hand shave one of the angles to get it to fit , bit of trial and error

Or use a sliding bevel to find out the angle then saw it freehand

Thanks for your reply.
The cuts are MILES out, its not the walls, I must be doing something fundamentally wrong yet i cant figure out what!

Can you show us a pic of your cuts and how you place the coving in the mitre box?

A common mistake is placing the coving in the mitre box wrong cause your brain bleeds trying to work out which way is the right way!

Sponsored Links
your over complicating it with a mitre box. you can buy a cove mitre from toolstation for a fiver.
dont worry about the distance from ceiling, trust your angles with a cove mitre and offer them up , play about until you get the best fit then mark the wall and ceiling.
dont expect to get any of your corners anywhere near perfect, thats what the adhesive / filler is for .
fyi toolstation also sell cartridges of cheap adhesive for lightweight cove and it’s good stuff.

You need to work out how far the edges of the coving project out from the wall and how far down the wall (drop and pavillion).

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&url=https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/cove-mitres/what-cove-mitre-sizes-are-available&psig=AOvVaw3LVxAilejJ_8ekOVVYI882&ust=1590187566851000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPD34LmExukCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

For the sake of ease, let's assume that both measurements are 3". Mark 3" up the side of the mitre box,and then 3" from the back. Now put the coving in the mitre box upside down and line it up wit your marks, then cut it.

To ensure that you maintain the correct angle relative to the wall/ceiling when putting the coving up , use pencil marks 3" down from the ceiling.

I hope that makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back