Cutting Aluminium cill

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Clamp a batten to it and rest the back edge of the grinder against the batten. Over cut by about 5-6mm so if you do run off it should stay within the limit.
Once cut down to rough size you can either grind it down to correct size or file it by hand.

Mitre saw fitted with an aluminium blade.
Or an ordinary blade if you are brave…..not recommended

this afternoon I cut some aly angle 6mm thick 50 x 50 on an ordinary TCT blade - it cut perfectly,

Aluminium tends to kind of melt and have a massive burr when using an angle grinder, so you'll have to clean it up with a file afterwards.
A hack saw might leave a cleaner finish although still hard to keep straight.
I like the mitre saw idea if you have the right tools

Aluminium tends to kind of melt and have a massive burr when using an angle grinder, so you'll have to clean it up with a file afterwards.
Yeah tell me.
We've been fitting VL HardiePlanks last couple of days. Had to rip three 3m trims down the length and all of the edge trims were chopped on our sliding compound with a diamond blade. Nearly worn out my file.

Had to rip three 3m trims down the length

Are you talking about the trims or the boards? I found the best tool for the cement boards lengthwise was my little wet tile cutter. Guillotine for the cross cuts of course.

As to cutting aluminium, I second a chop saw with a metal cutting blade - the one I have has fine tungsten carbide teeth, not diamond. Just make sure you wear good goggles. I've just built a roof using alukap-SS system and this worked cleanly and perfectly - I had a lot of cuts to make.

Are you talking about the trims or the boards? .
The boards we chopped on the saw and used a 9" grinder down the length.
It was the ally trims I had to cut down the length with the grinder. Fortunately the cut was hidden and the cutting process did not distort the trim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back