Cutting an opening for a window?

Been to Disneyland and Universal studios in Florida, and I didn't have any inclination to post whilst I was away.

Having seen next door, I'd be inclined to add a degree of symetry, and match the heights to theirs, but you could make them wider (I couldn't make sense of your window sizes though) I know they aren't sensible heights, but you need to decide whether keb appeal, of internal aesthetics is more important. Stand in the road with the other half, and look at both with a dispasionate eye, or take a picture into a local estate agents, and ask their opinion - most love to feel important.

Sponsored Links
I hope you enjoyed it!!!

I was thinking symmetry but only on our house and not the neighbours.

If the top left window was 4.5 bricks to the left of the box one the upstairs would have some symmetry.

Then when I rebuild the porch I could centre it under the box window to make that look a bit more uniform.

Damned hard work walking round all the parks, but that meant I only put on a pound even after eating like a pig every day; you can see why Americans have an obesity problem. Ate a lot more savvy in universal studios, and one meal was good enough for 2 of us.

You'll need to do some drawings for me to visalise it properly, but if it works for you, then that's what you aim for. Their garage conversion window does look a bit pokey on reflection, so maybe match the garage to the extension window for conformity, make them wider, but at the same level as next door. That would give you symetry in 2 planes, but give you more light in the rooms.

I'll try and take a picture square on and do some copy and pasting on it.

Sponsored Links
OK, so, I got some windows off ebay, cut the openings, bricked it up, did the roof, had a cowboy do the gutters.

I have no idea how to fake a porch though
IMG_2402.JPG

Sorry Ian, but to me, it looks a mess. You've got 4 window panes downstairs, but 3 up, and you've lined up the top of the downstairs windows, but not the top ones. I'd be inclined to match 3 up and 3 down (or 4 on refelction), and reposition the one above the porch, rather than try and match up with it. Yes, it's more work, but it'll give you a much better look overall. It also looks a though you've lined up the downstairs window with the porch - which is going to be covered over) rather than the bay window, which looks a little lower. I'd be inclined to use the bays as the starting point, and match their height across to the other windows.

But it's your choice of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit of a rough mock up so nothing is properly lined up.

I can imagine the downstairs window in line with the bay but the upstairs one is different. The top of the bay is lower than the top of the box window so if I line up with the bay it may look more odd.

Moving the box room window isn't an option, only the position of the new windows in the extension.

Not being able to move the box windows not unexpected, and it's not an easy layout to deal with. Keep working with the software till you come up with something that looks reasonable. But from what you've just said, then I'd line to the top window with the box window, but make the extension window deeper, and then make the 2 extension windows the same width.

If the scale is reasonably accurate then I think that four-pane windows look a bit of a squeeze. The left side would be right up against the wall internally, the right side would be very close to the porch.

re: Heights. On GF I'd match heights to the bay window. On 1F I'd match bottom to the bay, top to the box.

I've still not cut the window but have made some progress:

IMG_6172.JPG

I'm going to decide the top window size and cut the hole next week. Rebuilding the front will have to wait for a while now ££.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back